New guy to the group

Hi all. It looks as if I, like a lot in this NG would like to get into
aluminum welding. I have a Century buzz box that I try to stick pieces of
metal together with. I have a steel dock that I did a bit of rework on this
winter, and lo & behold, one of the nuts that I had stitch welded to some
light wall square tube broke when I tightened the bolt down. Pretty sad
considering I am a welding inspector. (Flame away) Anyway, I am thinking
about building a new aluminum dock frame this winter, as I think I can
probably buy a decent wire feeder setup & the materials for the cost of a
new dock. What I am wondering is with all the tight angles, and small runs
(1" - 1 1/4" square tube), if I may be better off with a TIG unit? One
thing that I have to keep in mind is that this is more of a hobby than
anything. Unless of course someone really likes my cool new dock & wants me
to build one. :-) Any thoughts on this? I see some Lincolns, and Millers
in the $500 - $600 range that may be OK. (Plus Al spool gun). The TIG units
I have seen look to be considerably more. ($1500 range)
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Paul
Reply to
Paul
You could just buy a Readywelder spoolgun and run it off your buzzbox.

You will want the model #10250. I have had one for over a year and it rocks.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
"Ernie Leimkuhler" skrev i en meddelelse news:240720031621054136% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com...
Any idea about the streetprice on this unit, and if there are any dealers willing to ship to scandinavia?
/peter
$375 - $450 US dollars.
You should contact Readywelder and see if they already have a European distributor.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
"Ernie Leimkuhler" skrev i en meddelelse news:260720031204129135% snipped-for-privacy@stagesmith.com...
Hmmmm.. I can get a decent looking (?) 230V welder for that price ( regular household outlet voltage is 230 VAC here, 3 phase is 400VAC )
I dont really need the portability... any suggestions? /peter
Hopefully one of the guys on that side of the pond can make a recommendation.
All I know are the brands in the US.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler