what I would really like

To be able to create a cut feature comprising a number of holes and later convert it to a pattern table.

Reply to
dakeb

: "dakeb" wrote : To be able to create a cut feature comprising a number of holes and later : convert it to a pattern table. : I've done something similar by patterning a point or axis (don't remember which), reference patterning a cut, then turning this into a pattern table and eliminating some of the elements. Now, it's possible to do somewhat the same thing with a fill pattern and selectively delete pattern elements.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

It's deleting the unwanted elements that's the problem. In rel 2001 you can't do it graphically, you have to do it in a text file and that is a major headache. If I could just select the instances I don't want in the model and delete them that'd be okay. Can you do this in WF?

Why can't PTC make a pattern table from a cut? All the dimensions exist in the cut, it would simply have to convert them to the table format.

Reply to
dakeb

: "dakeb" wrote : : > "David Janes" wrote : > : "dakeb" wrote : > : To be able to create a cut feature comprising a number of holes and : later : > : convert it to a pattern table. : > : : > I've done something similar by patterning a point or axis (don't remember : which), : > reference patterning a cut, then turning this into a pattern table and : eliminating : > some of the elements. Now, it's possible to do somewhat the same thing : with a fill : > pattern and selectively delete pattern elements. : : It's deleting the unwanted elements that's the problem. In rel 2001 you : can't do it graphically, you have to do it in a text file and that is a : major headache. If I could just select the instances I don't want in the : model and delete them that'd be okay. Can you do this in WF? : WF lets you select elements of a fill pattern graphically for suppression. It also lets you switch between different types of patterns (linear, table, fill) from a drop down list. The tough thing with a table is, as you pointed out, managing anything. It's pretty difficult to change the pattern spacing in either or both directions. With WF, you can switch to linear pattern to change the spacing then switch back to table to remove instances.

: Why can't PTC make a pattern table from a cut? All the dimensions exist in : the cut, it would simply have to convert them to the table format. : I can't see why you wouldn't be able to except that if it's a collection of features, you may have to group them first. Seems to me that anything you can pattern, you should be able to make 'to table'. Graphical control comes with fill patterns because you get a preview of instance positions where you can delete some; not sure about tables in WF, though I'm pretty sure that by WF2 this gets graphical, too.

David Janes :

Reply to
David Janes

The thing is, I want to make a pattern of something that isn't a logical pattern. Like a 'random' array of round cuts, with no linear spacing in any direction. So in rel 2001 I have to do it as a cut feature, with the 'random' array of round cuts drawn in sketcher. The reason I want to make it into a pattern is so I can use the round cuts as pilot holes, and then place a tapped hole feature on the first one and ref. pattern the rest of them.

Reply to
dakeb

This is new stuff to me, can't claim to know anything about it; but that's never stopped me before so....

Without an available function and just off the top of my head (well, after a little 'thought', fwiw) I think I'd consider table patterning datum points for the pilot holes, assuming they are all located from a common reference, instead of going the multiple holes with a cut route. I don't think WF offers any help for adding or deleting pattern instances graphically, but you can RMB / Edit the locating dimensions graphically (WF2 only?). It's not especially quick, the entire part has to be regen'd to effect changes, but it's more intuitive than working with the table (?).

Reply to
Jeff Howard