I would like to scratchbuild a locomotive

probably in O-scale and of a Great Western prototype: I would like a relatively easy to model prototype and want to find out where I could get plans... I have a hankering for a Barnum 2-4-0 or a Wolverhampton

2-4-0.... anyone out there with wisdom (and plans)?

David

Reply to
David Chorley

probably in O-scale and of a Great Western prototype: I would like a relatively easy to model prototype and want to find out where I could get plans... I have a hankering for a Barnum 2-4-0 or a Wolverhampton

2-4-0.... anyone out there with wisdom (and plans)?

David

Reply to
David Chorley

David,

I'm not an expert on the GWR and the source of drawings of its locomotives, but an obvious source is the NRM at York who now store the archive of locomotive drawings from the major Grouping companies and a lot of the pre-Grouping companies. However, the drawback with their service is that you almost definitely have to visit their library personally to make your selection, which can be a major cost and hassle if you don't live near York. Some people, in the past, have said that it is possible to do business with them by phone or mail, but I believe that you have to know the exact details of your wants for this to work. Their stated trading policy on their web site is to visit the library and make your choice.

There are other sources of modellers' drawings (as against the official works drawings in the NRM). The obvious source is back numbers of the model railway magazines and you can use an online index of articles and drawings like the BRMNA one at

to find out which where and when such details were published. For instance, I do remember Cyril Freezer doing a series of drawings of GWR locomotives in the Railway Modeller in the 60s/70s period when he was editor.

There is another source and that is a book of drawings by J.N.Maskelyne - "Locomotives I Have Known" published by Percival Marshall, then Argus - ISBN 0 85242 636 4. This is a collection of drawings of Victorian and Edwardian locomotives originally published in the Model Engineer in the 50s, and it contains drawings of 29 GWR locos.

Others may come up with other sources. I'm sure there must be GWR societies which cater for interests in the company.

On the matter of scratchbuilding Victorian locomotives, watch out for a 'Gotcha' when using standard 7mm wheel standards, where the gauge and back-to-back is narrower than it should be. In a lot of these older loco designs, they used large diameter wheels and low pitched boilers, so that the boiler centre line was below the tops of the wheels. In 7mm FS standards, you might have to reduce the boiler diameter, or make it oval, or provide cutouts for the driving wheels, to make it all work. Or you could model to Scale7 standards, where there is no such problem :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

David,

The only advice I can give is that that I received recently at a show (assuming this is your first attempt at scratchbuilding?). The advice is to pick something simple, preferably largely box shaped. Considering the cost of kits, etc. I think personally I'll try a wagon or two before trying a loco.

regards, phil

Reply to
Phil Stubbington

7-8 years ago, i took the plunge and totally scratch built (apart from motor, & wheels) two O gauge LMS / BR locos. My first attempt was a 3F 0 - 6 - 0 Jinty. It took me several months and some parts were rebuilt, built, but the end results pleased me, and it actually runs. I followed this up with a 4F 0 - 6 - 0 tender loco. For this, I bought the axle boxes and chimney as well as the motor and wheels. The point i am making is that if you have the simple basic tools, and are prepared to take a bit of time, recognise mistakes and are prepared to correct them, anyone can do it - even with my pretty basic skills. Only eason i stopped is poor eyesight.

The Jinty plan came from the RM. The 4F came from Skinley drawings, whose catalogue includes locos from many BR / Grouping / pre-grouping companies. Don't know for sure if this company is still in existence.

Good luck with the models.

ZD

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar