Exporting surfaces for Rendering from large assembly

I'm looking for advice on formats and option settings to output surface geometry for use with a thrid-party rendering package. Rendering done out-of-house, and this has just come up so I'm not sure what they are using for software yet. The assembly model is very large and has way too much accuracy for our rendering purposes... what I'd like to do is be able to select a number of the key edges and surfaces that define the model and export them. Then 'fill-in' the gaps in the rendering software. Sorry I don't know the rendering package being used yet (I'll post once I know)... Any suggestions on process, export options in SW06, or software that does what I'm looking for? Thanks, scott.

Reply to
tritonlogging

In your assembly, select saveas part, then set the option to save exterior faces only.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Zander

BTW - what rendering package are you exporting to?

Care to share why you are not using PhotoWorks?

Regards

Mark Biasotti SolidWorks

Reply to
mbiasotti

Exporting exterior faces exports many more surfaces than my illustration guy needs to represent the top-end assembly well, and SW seemed to have problems with doing it anyhow (it missed lots of geometry?). The exterior of the assembly is represented by many different parts, some of which have fairly 'complex' (read unnecessary) geometry for rendering. If 'exterior faces' meant only those on the very outside of the model that I was trying to export, that would be great... but because it's not a closed model, 'exterior faces' still exports tonnes of geometry that is actually on the 'inside' of the assembly model, which nobody is ever going to see from a rendering.

I'm trying to get around creating a very complex model that only has a portion of useful rendering geometry.... for file handling/performance reasons. Any other ideas on ways of picking up selected faces from an assembly for export?

Mark, we're not using photoworks because we don't render enough to warrant it. We contract out rendering when needed at this stage in the game. In this particular case, my illustrator is using FormZ and Lighwave (found this out this morning).

Thanks > BTW - what rendering package are you exporting to?

Reply to
tritonlogging

You may have to simply suppress objects that are irrelevant (I can't spell at this time of day). Then to get to lightwave or formz there is polytrans or you can use rhino as a bridge by exporting .sat to rhino and exporting 3ds from rhino.

If you have premium the scan-to-3d can save obj and 3ds (I think) but only of meshes, and I don't believe there is a way to convert existing solid bodies into meshes within solidworks?

Zander

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Zander

Scott, if you did use PhotoWorks we have an option to save your Assembly as a part. When you save the file you have the option to just save exterior faces (visible) and this will reduce the rendering time and size when you open that part file back up. It's also common practice to set up a configuration for rendering that just hides or suppresses unseen parts.

Now, with going to FormZ, you are in good shape because FormZ, I believe, reads IGES. With Lightwave, (which I also use personally) you're in for a world of pain since the only practical way into it is via STL

This has been a hot topic on the forums for many months as there are a fair number of users that want to export to rendering/animation packages like 3DMax, Maya, and Lightwave.

My personal method, that I've found works best is to save STEP from SW, then open it in Rhino and then save it as a Lightwave file from Rhino.

The problem you'll discover, when you export as an STL or VRML, is the excessive no. of polygons you need to get decent renderings in these other packages. I end of spending many hours fixing up my models when they come into Lightwave from SW to reduce the excessive number of polys and goes around comes around if you know what I mean. So, it you haven't looked at PW in awhile you should spend some time looking at our 2007 version (we did some major improvements to it), because it is one of the fastest renderers on the market and you never have to translate.

The Nurbs world vs. the polygonal mesh world is currently a real problem that separates our industries - MCAD vs. CGI

Regards

Mark Biasotti SolidWorks

Reply to
mbiasotti

Hi Mark,

Although I havn't used it myself, I know a few people who achieve solidworks to lightwave translation with polytrans. Looks like a good utility, if you need to do this a lot.

Zander

snipped-for-privacy@solidworks.com wrote:

Reply to
Zander

I see so you use Lightwave personally even though you work for SW and are involved with the PW section. Good recommendation I suppose. :o)

Funny, the problem I have sometimes with exporting vrml or stl is that there simply aren't enough polys for some objects.... Reducing the poly count if necessary is no problem - there are utilities that do this well and quickly.

One reason I use something else is the ability to import some props from the vast number of models out there. I don't think SW has this capabity yet or can operate in a small render farm either which is desireable for animations.

With 07 PW is at last of a std suitable for SW users re materials and premade scenes etc Well done, however there are still niggling issues with it you need to sort... like the floor..still or again :o)

I might add that each renderer has a signiture look. Different folks will like one better than another or like working with it better or it fits their existing work flow or they are familiar with it or don't want to spend more or whatever. I don't have any difficulty with people choosing to use something else.

My own view is that while you guys have got this up to par this type of render will fade from popularity for stills. As multi core becomes ubiquitous so people will afford the time to run Maxwell and similar. Already people are acheiving really good calc speed that makes it attractive. I would say that networking 16 processors or say 4 quads you could churn out an impressive pic in an hour.

If you are keen to promote PW how about you do one of your ace videos showing how easy it is to use and what results you can acheive in a short time.

If I was really trying to be efficient in generating presentations I would just be tempted to skip the renders etc and capture realview as stills or video. Rendering and animation done well is still time consuming. Someday hopefully as graphics cards capability extend you will bring nice realtime shading etc to realview ;o) It would be nice if SW would refine and extend their materials and textures for realview now that PW is improved...

keep up the good work ;o)

Reply to
neilscad