Exporting to 3ds or dxf format

Hello, everybody. I am searching for a free software or procedure that will enable me to transfer my 3d models from WF2 to another application which can only import .3ds or .dxf files. Now, the important thing is that the geometry will survive, no matter about textures or materials, they will be applied entirely in the other application.

Thanks for help. Sarge

Reply to
sarge

You can only import 2d (dxf and 3ds) so you have to export in a 2d format from Pro/e. The only place to do that is drawing mode. Create a drawing on size that will let your model geometry scale at 1:1, then place as many views (at a drawing scale of 1:1) as it takes to completely represent the geometry. I'm pretty sure you have to place the views in wireframe, or possibly 'no hidden'. Use named 'Saved Views' that you've created for this purpose. Don't place any format on it and use no annotations (notes, dimensions, symbols). Then do 'File>Save a copy' and scroll through the list until you find dxf.

Reply to
David Janes

I don't claim to know anything about this but...

I think you might want to figure out what "data type" you need to be trading in. DXF supports NURBS as well as facet type enitites. I will have to guess (cause I don't know) that 3DS supports only facet data. Your mentioning textures and materials indicates you are going to a rendering software (?). Given all this I think a facet representation of the part(s) is what you'll want.

Pro/E will output facet reps using a few (again, I don't do this so am doing a lot of guessing) export types. Look at STL, IV (not to be confused with the copycat from Ad$k), OBJ, VRML, ..., .... (? if you get a dialog to set resolution values it's probably worth looking at).

Then you'll have to find something to read your output and translate to 3DS or DXF. There are a few that might help; Rhino comes to mind as a possibility. I'm also wondering if the target system won't read something besides 3DS and DXF. If unsure, what is the target program? At any rate, facet reps are so commonly exchanged you should have no problem finding a freeware / shareware / eval copy to do the translation.

Another avenue that might be explored; create a faceted shrinkwrap export as IGES or whatever. Don't know if there's any future in it or not.

Jeff Howard

Hello

I think Pro/E can only export (or import) 2D form of DXF files. I presume You want get some 3D geometry to do rendering and /or animation in some other software (3D studio etc...). I think You'l need some workaround via third software to do that.

For such purposes I'm relying on Rhinoceros, which supports a lot of different 3D formats. I use it to clean up IGES and STEP files or do the conversion in files, which are not supported by Pro/E. That means You'll have to export 3D geometry from Pro/E in some standard 3D format (IGES or STEP), than inport it into Rhinoceros and then do the export in 3D DXF or

3DS file (Both are supported by Rhinoceros).

Hope that helps...

Bye

Joze

Reply to