Converting Rhino3D surfaces to a SolidWorks solid

Gentleman (and Ladies) I need help.

I am attempting to convert complex Rhino3D surfaces (boat hulls, decks, etc.) into something that I can use in SolidWorks.

The bottom line is that I need to convert Rhino surfaces into SolidWorks solids. Thus far it has proven to be a very frustrating and ultimately fruitless excercise.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Stefan

Are you creating closed shells in Rhino? Open surfs to thicken? What is abs tol set to? Etc.?

Reply to
dudleydoorite

To that add: With singularites and degenerate edges?

Reply to
dudleydoorite

Do you have problems or have you attempted in creating a solid in Rhino3D? Anyhow, as was mentioned, it could be a singularities issue?

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

are you using SW207 with the new open Rhino file plugin?

Dont know if it's any good however...... I remember that Rhino seemed to have a Parasolid output a while ago, is this what you're using?

Reply to
Lee Bazalgette - factorydesign

is the surface coming straight from rhino ie being createdin rhino or is it being created in something beforehand

the reason i ask is thet in a previous job i was in spain working on racing yachts,the software being used for flow modelling was what created the initial hull MAAT i believe was its name, and then this was given to the design guys who believe it or not worked it on rhino to get sectional cuts and 2d autocad before coming to me for detailing

well the geometry was by this point 3rd hand and had degenerate edges and singularities aplenty especially the bow point it was far easier to fix in proE than solidworks but 90% of the tim for surface accuracy i took sectional cuts at "x" dim sometimes 0.5mm and depending on surface accuracy rebuilt the shape

Reply to
mikemcd