Rhino3d

I searched on Rhino3d, and this group was returned as the most
relevant, even though it is CAD.
I am trying out Rhino3D, and I am interested in knowing if other
software suitable for 3d on the WWW is available.
I am selling taps, showers, and the like via the Web and I want to add
more detail to images (eg 3d, 360 degree, rotation possiblity) since a
lot of people ask about the products, ie infomation more easily
obtained by seeing a fuller image.
I have only 2d images available.
My own investigations has shown a lot of in house Java software for
VRML and 3D. Also I saw Adobe have 3d software.
Do you have any knowledge of proven use of 3D software which is
available of the shelf, which could be 3d represent 2d images?
Reply to
Trevor Oakley
PartStream from SolidWorks has a very good 3D interface & multi-download translator. We use it for internal model sharing as well as a portal for external customers.

Rus E.
Reply to
9th_fairway
: I searched on Rhino3d, and this group was returned as the most : relevant, even though it is CAD. : : I am trying out Rhino3D, and I am interested in knowing if other : software suitable for 3d on the WWW is available. : : I am selling taps, showers, and the like via the Web and I want to add : more detail to images (eg 3d, 360 degree, rotation possiblity) since a : lot of people ask about the products, ie infomation more easily : obtained by seeing a fuller image. : : I have only 2d images available. : : My own investigations has shown a lot of in house Java software for : VRML and 3D. Also I saw Adobe have 3d software. : : Do you have any knowledge of proven use of 3D software which is : available of the shelf, which could be 3d represent 2d images?
Reply to
David Janes
:
: : I searched on Rhino3d, and this group was returned as the most : : relevant, even though it is CAD. : : : : I am trying out Rhino3D, and I am interested in knowing if other : : software suitable for 3d on the WWW is available. : : : : I am selling taps, showers, and the like via the Web and I want to add : : more detail to images (eg 3d, 360 degree, rotation possiblity) since a : : lot of people ask about the products, ie infomation more easily : : obtained by seeing a fuller image. : : : : I have only 2d images available. : : : : My own investigations has shown a lot of in house Java software for : : VRML and 3D. Also I saw Adobe have 3d software. : : : : Do you have any knowledge of proven use of 3D software which is : : available of the shelf, which could be 3d represent 2d images? : : Pro/e, SolidEdge, Unigraphics, SolidWorks, Pro/Desktop are solids modellers. You create and assemble parts and make drawings from these models. If you have a lot of dimensions from prints available, it may be possible to use the 2d digital data to produce solid models. Also, if you are starting with families of parts, bills of material, well defined part geometry, solid modelling is particularly suited to creating and viewing this on screen. Many part viewers are available and all export to browser plugin formats like VRML.
Rhino, Maya, Studio Tools are NURBS surface modellers, more conceptual in nature, less number driven. If you need a lot of fancy shapes, free form surfaces that can be easily shaped, these are best at this type of modelling, giving you smooth surfaces. These too export to other formats, including VRML.
I don't know of any way to directly model in VRML or of modellers based on this format. I'd be interested in hearing about anything along these lines that you find out.
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes

Site Timeline