Locating clashes for software?

Hi All

I have just moved to Wildfire (New CD's about 2 weeks ago). On 2001 my system was absolutely stable, never crashed out. In Wildfire it seems to crash out often when doing the most trivial task. Since I will need to teach undergrads in 3 months time this causes me a problem. Is there a way to check for software/hardware issues that could be causing the problem? I am about to set my config.pro to non OpenGL and see if this solves it. The machine is a Compact laptop, 512Mb ram 2GHz P4. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me at the moment.

Any thoughts

Reply to
Bill McBride

: Is there a way : to check for software/hardware issues that could be causing the problem? I : am about to set my config.pro to non OpenGL and see if this solves it. The : machine is a Compact laptop, 512Mb ram 2GHz P4. Just doesn't make a lot of : sense to me at the moment. : It's computers, it's not supposed to make sense, except in the mind of the author. However, you might try searching for your GPU on this NG, see if it popped up with any problems associated. Possibly an ATI Radeon 9000? Gamer system? good with DirectX 8, even got hardware support? but kinda iffy on OpenGL? OpenGL incompatibilities seem to crash systems for no apparent reason. Pro/e is programmed on Unix, probably SGI, for their OpenGL implementation (didn't they pioneer it?). Anything which severly deviates from this is screwed. Those 'screwed' systems don't show up on PTC's supported/certified hardware list.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

It's most likely your graphics card or driver. So setting your config.pro to graphics - win32_gdi should help? Otherwise, check out, Hardware Notes - Compaq

..

Bill McBride wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Just had a look and the Graphics card is an ATI Radeon 7500. Changed to Win32_GDI and it seems stable except the entire image flashes at time when trying to pick things.

Will keep digging..

Thanks

Reply to
Bill McBride

Do you know this for a fact ? Just interested ...

Yes, SGI did invent OpenGL ...

Reply to
hamei

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Just for the record, must Pro/E developers have both a Sun workstation and a Windows 2K PC.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Grotyohann

You have probably solved this problem by now but I had the same issue (posted here a few months ago) with another ATI card. It turns out that I didn't follow the instructions perfectly when I installed the last driver. Sometimes you have to completely uninstall the driver you have before you install the new one. In the case of my FireGL X1 I thought I was smart and didn't do this. The result was identical to yours. Try completely uninstalling the video driver (this is not done how you would think but I think ATIs website has instructions ... if not and you have never done this yourself get help either on the web or a friend who has) and installing the new one.

The likely reason you have this problem is that there are remnants of the old driver on your PC still. And, as it turns out, only Pro/E actually uses the OpenGL functions that are incorrectly installed.

Good Luck!!!

Reply to
Kevin