converting Mechanical Desktop Files to Solidworks

Good Day,
I am tasked with converting a number of Mechanical Desktop Files 6 (assemblies and parts) to Solidworks (2003). I am not too familiar
with Solidworks.
I have been using the Solidworks MDT translator in Solidworks 2003 with mixed results.
Parts are translated relatively easily, but assemblies are difficult (Parts get lost). Solidworks and MDT have a tendency to either crash or lock-up.
I was wondering if anyone had experince in this area and give me some hints as to where to look for the problems
I suspect that the issue lies in search/working path and other program parameters. Some OS parameters my be involved also.
TIA
jimB ****************************************** Jim Bannister 3Dthinking dot com ****************************************** to reply by email, REPLACE the "X's" in address with "M"
jimb wrote:

Does MDT6 have an IGESOUT or ACISOUT option to export an entire assembly? If so, try that. Otherwise, I tend to agree that what you may be experiencing in SolidWorks is some confusion on the part of the program regarding directory structure. IF you have MDT parts in a number of different directories try putting them all in one directory and then using the translator.
Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC http://www.h2omarkdesign.com
Mark,
Thanks for the reply
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 19:41:49 -0400, Sporkman

IGES and ACIS both work fine but the resultant is non-parametric parts
SolidWorks in their infinate wisdom (and desire to be #1) has done wonders developing translators for other CAD packages. Mechanical Desktop is one of them. SolidWorks can open the parts/assemblies directly and all the parametrics and assembly mates come in.

tried that no help but thanks for the suggestion.
I think the main reason may be the tremendous strain on the machine's resources by having the two apps open and working at the same time.
regards