converting Mechanical Desktop Files to Solidworks

Good Day,

I am tasked with converting a number of Mechanical Desktop Files 6 (assemblies and parts) to Solidworks (2003). I am not too familiar with Solidworks.

I have been using the Solidworks MDT translator in Solidworks 2003 with mixed results.

Parts are translated relatively easily, but assemblies are difficult (Parts get lost). Solidworks and MDT have a tendency to either crash or lock-up.

I was wondering if anyone had experince in this area and give me some hints as to where to look for the problems

I suspect that the issue lies in search/working path and other program parameters. Some OS parameters my be involved also.

TIA

jimB

****************************************** Jim Bannister 3Dthinking dot com ****************************************** to reply by email, REPLACE the "X's" in address with "M"
Reply to
jimb

Does MDT6 have an IGESOUT or ACISOUT option to export an entire assembly? If so, try that. Otherwise, I tend to agree that what you may be experiencing in SolidWorks is some confusion on the part of the program regarding directory structure. IF you have MDT parts in a number of different directories try putting them all in one directory and then using the translator.

Mark 'Sporky' Stapleton Watermark Design, LLC

Sporkman

Mark,

Thanks for the reply

IGES and ACIS both work fine but the resultant is non-parametric parts

SolidWorks in their infinate wisdom (and desire to be #1) has done wonders developing translators for other CAD packages. Mechanical Desktop is one of them. SolidWorks can open the parts/assemblies directly and all the parametrics and assembly mates come in.

all in one directory

tried that no help but thanks for the suggestion.

I think the main reason may be the tremendous strain on the machine's resources by having the two apps open and working at the same time.

regards