AutoCad Mechanical BOM question

Good day,
I have a Mechanical desktop assembly and I am working on the BOM.
After inserting parts (XREF) into the assembly, I renamed the files
and reloaded the assembly.
I can't seem to get the <NAME> column in the BOM to reflect the updated part (XREF) name.
I need to have the BOM reflect the part name as it appears in the PATH, not the part <NAME> as originally inserted.
I can rename the part in the catalogue to reflect the name in the path, but that doesn't allow for renaming the XREFS in the future.
Given that the XREF name reflects the revision I need to get the revision info in the BOM.
Can someone point me to the solution?
TIA
jimB -------------------------------------------- JimB -------------------------------------------- my SPAM defense: Replace all the X's in email address with M