Renaming parts in an assembly?

Hello,

I made a 95 part assembly by taking 1 part with 95 solid bodies and saving it as an assembly.

My problem is that everything is named "ImportedXX", where XX is 1 to

  1. I need to rename all of these parts. The files themselves are also named ImportedXX.sldprt.

When I right click a part in the feature manager, and then select Component Properties, there is a field called "Component Name", which displays ImportedXX. I can rename the component, say "8-32 screw", click ok, and then the component gets renamed in the feature manager (yay).

Now, I save my assembly, close it, reopen it, and "8-32 screw" is back to "ImportedXX" (boo).

Any way around this, other than the time intensive process of making a chart of which XX matches up to what name, making copies of all the files, renaming all the files, and then replacing component 95 times?

Thanks

Kevin

Reply to
lipkink

You can use SolidWorks Explorer to call up the final assembly .sldasm (with that file closed in SWks), and change part names in the list in SWks Explorer.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

snip

With the assembly open, open a part up in another window by right clicking on a part in the feature tree or the graphics window and selecting "open part". Save the part with the name you want. Close the part. Repeat process

94 times. You'll probably run out of memory and have to reboot a few times during the process.

Jerry Steiger

SWExplorer will do it and maintain the relationships between parts (if necessary), but I find it somewhat tedious.

CKrename is another way, save the upper assembly to the name you want, hen use CKrename to change all the part names at once. The downside to this is you have to tell SWX where every part is when you open the top assembly, it'll ask for each file when it can't find the old filename. The other downside is it'll loose any 'in context' relations.

Neither is way is what I'd consider 'ideal', one that would rename all the associated files at once *and* save any relations.

2¢ WC

snipped-for-privacy@saic.com wrote:

Reply to
wc

It's a complete PITA, which I presume is perpetuated as an incentive to buy one of SWX's PDM offerings - at least, I presume they give this functionality.

John H

Reply to
John H

wc, If you use SWks Explorer, open an assembly and Edit/Copy Document, click "Copy Children", you can go part by part and rename into a new folder if you want (or leave the names the same).

The thing I would like is if an option were made to automatically save the assembly and children with a new suffix so the Machine.sldasm became something I want like MachineV2.sldasm, and likewise had all the children with the same "V2" suffix. This would save an incredible amount of time when doing preliminary designs where many iterations are tried before the final choice of the most acceptable concept is arrived at.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

I am embarrassed to say, I failed to look hard and see that the option for me to put my own suffix is indeed already in the SWks Explorer dialog box.

That's what happens when I get in a groove and just go forward as usual without opening my eyes wider.

Bo

Reply to
Bo