Crashes and file corruption

Has anyone else noticed that after SWX does a CTD, and you open back up an assembly, that mates can go crazy? I noticed yesterday that mates were missing, suppressed, or changed. In talking with another designer who crashes more than I do, he is experiencing that same thing.

While I can not duplicate or have had the opportunity to document exactly what changes occur after a CTD, I now realize that I do not trust SolidWorks.

Reply to
pmwh

Did you by chance rename the assembly sometime in the period before you had a crash, but before you made corrections or changes to Mates in the assembly? The reason I ask is that earlier on (before SP0.1) I noted that in the Feature Trees of the components of the new (renamed) assembly the Mates still reflected the name of the assembly before it was renamed. That is, they would reflect the older assembly name UNTIL the assembly file has actually been closed down and reopened, and thereafter they would reflect the proper assembly name. Not what one would call a really a big deal, EXCEPT that seemingly if one DID NOT close down and reopen the assembly the Mates that you changed, corrected or added (and then Saved) wouldn't necessarily reappear properly if SolidWorks crashed thereafter. I had it happen several times, and someone else noted the same thing. Mates that I knew I corrected (and I Saved after I corrected them) reappeared as problems after the SolidWorks assembly is reopened after a crash. UNLESS I closed down the assembly file, then reopen it. If I did that and I had a crash, the Mates that were corrected remained correct. The other person reported that with SP0.1, the problem did not occur with him again, and I can't say I've actually tested it since going to SP0.1.

So, if you have renamed the assembly and did not close it down and reopen it, you may be seeing the same problem we saw earlier. And if you are on SP0.1 then we need to know about it. That might mean the problem has not been yet resolved satisfactorily.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

No. I am using SolidWorks 2004 SP4.1