File Open Dialog

I asked this question a few days ago and did not receive a response. I suspect I was not very clear in what I was looking for.

When I attempt to open a file from within solidworks the file open dialog listing criteria defaults to either *.sldasm or *.sldprt.

What I would like to have happen is the file dialog listing criteria to default to "all files (*.*)."

Does anybody know of a way to make this happen from within solidworks or windows XP?

I am using SW2004, SP2

Thanks, Farley

Reply to
Farley

I don't think so. Maybe with a registry hack...

Reply to
Arlin

When I open a file from SW I always get the choise... > SolidWorks Files (*.sldprt; *.sldasm; *.slddrw)< which means it views all avaliable SW-files. Is this what You mean ? It's on top of avaliable filetypes in the roll down menu.

Krister L

Reply to
Krister L

Yes. I think we are talking about the same thing. However, my dialog defaults to either *.sldprt or *.sldasm. I am not sure what drives it to choose which to pick as sometimes it defaults to *.sldasm even if there is no assembly in that particular directory. If it would default to Solidworks Files (*.sldprt; *.sldasm; *.slddrw) I would be happy enough.

What I am doing is working through a couple hundred drawings and making some minor changes to each of them. Each time I open one I have to use the rolldown in the file open dialog to pick a filter to allow me to select the .slddrw file. I was hoping to find a way to get rid of this extra step each time I open a drawing.

I can not help but think I am missing something obvious here.

Farley

Krister L wrote:

Reply to
Farley

I don't know about 2004, but with 2003 and earlier versions I don't remember a time when the dialog box wouldn't default to the LAST file type I chose (within a particular session). Seems like it always starts out (in a NEW session, before I've opened anything) with "*.sldprt;

*.sldasm; *.slddrw" as Krister suggested, but after I've selected a file type filter the next time I open a file it defaults to that same filter, and it always has. There MAY have been some SPs in which this was "broken"...I don't remember any, except I've noticed some inconsistent performance with this at times...and I don't know if this is "broken" in 2004 for some people or whether it's a problem with some people's installation of Windows XP (BTW, I'm using XP Pro).

'Sporky'

Farley wrote:

Reply to
Sporkman

Maybe I have some set of conditions that makes my installation behave this way. Each time I use the file open dialog I have to set the filter to all files (*.*). It will revert back to *.sldasm or *.sldprt (still confused how it decides) for the next call. This is all within the same SolidWorks session.

It sounds like you are not (consistently) seeing this issue. It would be interesting to know if anyone else is experiencing what I am. I am beginning to think my experience with this file dialog behavior is unigue.

BTW - Thanks all for the repsonses.

Farley

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Farley

My experience on our three seats follows what Krister and Sporkman said. This is the way it's been for us since we started with SW2000. SW remembers whatever filter was last selected. Now on SW2004 SP02 running XP Pro SP1.0.

Dave H

Farley wrote:

Reply to
Dave H

So....try not to use " all files"....try the "all sw-file filter" instead and see if it sticks

Krister L

Farley skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:PWVOb.9963$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com. ..

Reply to
Krister L

Thanks Krister.

That was it. Files of type SolidWorks does stick. Things are much better now.

I could swear that I tried that (all sw-file filter) before and got the same unhappy results. But it is working and that is all that matters.

I had felt all along that the solution would be obvious once uncovered.

Thanks to all for helping.

Farley

Krister L wrote:

Reply to
Farley

well, SW incorporates all *relevant* files in one of it's file filters. One could create an addin that allows SW to add it to its list, but without the API code to back it up,(and translate the part geometry to SW) I have no idea what would happen when SW tries to call your missing import routine.

You could subclass the dialog thru VB/VC,and 'force' the entry into the drop down list box, but I dont know 'C', and I know enuff VB to know it should be done in 'C'. And again, SW would most likely generate an error, like if you renamed a word doc to .sldprt.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

Reply to
rocheey

Hi, I've designed some applications in VB for Solidworks. One of them solves this problem.

Please, take a look at

Florin

Reply to
Florin

Nice management tools, Florin!

BTW, I can not setup an account or login, insertnewuser.asp, does not seem to work? "The page cannot be found"

..

Flor>

Reply to
Paul Salvador