Ship in a Bottle Benchmark on a Gaming Machine

I just built a new machine for home and was interested how it could handle SolidWorks. I ran the ship in a bottle benchmark and received
decent results (36 seconds for 50 rebuilds). I also checked the performance on our usual assembly (130 MB, 914 parts-134 unique, lots of ext refs) and it seems to do quite well also. Here's the specs on the new machine ($1000).
Asus P4C800E Deluxe MB P4 2.8 Ghz (overclocked to 3.08) 1 GB DDR 3200 400 Mhz ECC (System bus overclocked from 200 to 220) Gainward GForce FX 5900 (128 MB, core clock OCd from 400 to 425, mem OCd from 850 to 900) Serial ATA 120 GB HDD (Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 8 MB cache, not running any raid) SW 2004 SP0.0
I haven't noticed any clipping or any other graphical problems in SW. I'm running the nVidia 5.3.0.3 driver. Card seems to stack up fairly well and only costs $230, and can handle the latest games as well (3DMark03 scores around 6000).
Thanks,
Nick
Thanks for posting this Nick. I assume you're running SW2004? It would be interesting to see what score you get in 2001Plus.
To be honest with you, I thought by now we'd be in the 20's range with a rare individual breaking into the teens.
I've always felt that rebuilds are the biggest time waster when compared with everything else and yet with each new SolidWorks release, it takes even longer.
I'm getting ready to upgrade to an Athlon64 here in a few days. I'll be sure and post my results!
I can sympathize with those going from 2001Plus to 2004. The speed difference must be astonishing.
Mike Wilson
PS: It's been almost a year eh? http://makeashorterlink.com/?C17521D17
Athlon64.... you'll like it Mike! :)
Just don't be surprised when you can't get all three ddr400 modules to work, or if the mobo clocks them down to do it. Memory is still the downside to AMD. unless you're talking Athlon64-FX (or Opteron)... but they have their sensitivities too.
With Athlon64 3200/3400+, you're better off running three ddr333 modules or two ddr400 modules. I've been around the block with this, testing MSI and Gigabyte mobos and you can email me for details. But in a nutshell, there's a banking limitation and with larger modules, like 512Mb, you'll hit the limit with two ddr400. The MSI would never pass the tests with all 3 ddr400, even when clocked way down, and even with an experimental bios update they emailed me. The Gigabyte could only post with three ddr400 if the bios was set to auto and allowed to clock them waaaay down (not good). Have fun and let's compare! I posted my Athlon64 results the first week of Jan. They kick butt!
- Eddy

News==----
Newsgroups
=---
If SolidWorks keeps it up, we'll have to start calling it SolidWaste or SolidWait :)
Mike, what kind of video card are you going to get? Anyone try a fx5900 or fx9950 with a softquadro patch? Wondering if it works?
I am planning on upgrading to a Athon64, but am thinking on putting it off for a bit. Sounds like the socket 940 motherboards are the way of future and everything else is going to be obsolete pretty fast. Been reading www.overclockers.com So I might wait a bit till the prices come down on the 940's and the memory issues settle down.
Jay

Encryption
Here's a memory article on the 64 http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040112/index.html
Jay
Eddy, I've just begun doing the research and found that if I download the PDF owners manual for the motherboard, I get a lot of detailed info. Here is what I found for the ASUS K8V Deluxe...
http://www.mikejwilson.com/misc/ddr_chart.jpg
Asus says it can go up to 3GB, but you never know. According to the chart, I'm going to have to go with 3 double-sided DDR200 512mb modules (unless there are reasonably priced single-sided 512 modules then I can go with faster RAM) for a total of 1.5GB, which is fine for now.
I may get two 1GB modules, but I don't see anything in the Asus vendor list that has 1GB approved. We'll see.
To me it doesn't really matter if I have the latest and greatest RAM. I have PC133 now, so anything is better.
Jay, I'm still going to keep my GeForce4 for now.
Mike Wilson
I know what they *say* but they all seem to be having a problem exceeding the bank limitation. Some of them are more sneaky about it and underclock the ram without telling you. Fare enough if you know who they are. A good vote for Asus is that they did really well overall in the compatibility tests done by tomshardware. I didn't try Asus as I was tired of spending money at that point, and I rarely believe tomshardware anymore anyway. I cut my losses and figured Asus must also be doing some trickery to get it to work - if in fact it does work. Remember, I haven't seen any website yet test for over 2gb of ram, or more than two 512mb modules at a time. I got very frustrated there for awhile looking.
Remember that to AMD ddr400 is a very touchy topic. Stability at ddr333 is solid but the faster the ram the more sensitive things get to brand, part number, matching, etc.
And you won't find reasonably priced single sided ddr400 512mb modules; apparently they don't exist. DDR400 1Gb modules are available and should work two at a time but... exceedingly expensive!!
I bought 2gb of ddr333 registered ram (1gb each) for our new Opteron server and they cost way less than plain ecc ddr400 1gb modules. Apparently this stuff gets defined largely by the gaming market, which currently is happy buying 512mb modules, one or two at a time.
So, my point... either three ddr333 modules (up to 2gb) -or- two ddr400 (certainly 1gb and maybe up to 2gb) would work great. I'm sure the difference to the *pig* (SW) is negligible anyway. I chose to go 1gb ddr400 and the payoff was huge. Next year I figure we'll be doing new systems again or all the sensitivity stuff will have been figured out through bios updates. If not, 1gb ddr400 modules might be affordable by then :)
:)
- Eddy

News==----
Newsgroups
=---
And I could swear that in all my research I saw that Asus could pack in 3gb but only ddr333? Am I remembering correctly?
- Eddy

News==----
Newsgroups
=---