2008 Machine Shop Benchmark Survey Analysis

This just hit my email in-basket.

AM has just published their "2008 Machine Shop Benchmark Survey Analysis" at

========= "Bruce Vernyi

07/22/2008

American Machinist conducted its third annual survey of machine shops to gather information our readers need to accurately gauge their competitive positions in the industry, and to help them make plans to systematically improve their operations and become more efficient.

We have identified the critical indicators and best practices that lead to improved productivity and profitability and, with the responses to questions about those indicators and best practices, we are able to identify a set of shops whose performance puts them in the lead of all the shops surveyed.

That group of shops is our benchmark set, and represents the top

20 percent of shops that responded to the survey. "

The amount of money shops spend on tooling per year is one of the stand-out statistics that separate the benchmark shops from all of the others. Shops in the benchmark set spend $92,500 a year (the median spending level, according to the survey), while the median for all shops is $47,500 and the median for shops that are not in the benchmark group is only $30,000 a year. So, benchmark shops spend three times as much on tooling each year as all other shops do.

============ Any critiques or comments from our money players?

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee

Yea, sh!ts too expensive.. lol

Reply to
tnik

at

Yeah. Grab all those idiots on Wall Street and make them sweep chips in these benchmark shops until they understand the value of reinvesting in their infrastructure.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

American Machinist is what you use when you run out of toilet paper. It's a worthless publication.

American Machinist is very similar to CIMData reporting on the CADCAM industry.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

F. George McDuffee wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Tooling doesn't cost money, tooling _makes_ money.

Reply to
Anthony