STAR benchmark

I have posted a benchmark called STAR on the performance section of the SW Discussion forum. If anybody is interested have a go at it and post times here. The benchmark creates its own part (which is a fractal) so results should be totaly dependent on whatever release of SW it is run on. It has been tested on 2004 and 2005.

Reply to
TOP

To start the list ;-)

Time = 6s levels = 2 Dip time = 0

Time = 55s levels = 4 Disp Time = 0

SW2005 sp2 w2ksp4 athlon 64 3500+

1.5gb fx500 card Asus a8v mobo

What performance settings might effect the result/ so we can set default to run with perhaps

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to
jjs

oops - did not do level 3

Level 3 Time = 14s Disp Time 1 = 1

levels = 4 Time = 55s Disp Time = 0

levels = 5 Time = 222s Disp Time = 1

SW2005 sp2 w2ksp4 athlon 64 3500+

1.5gb fx500 card Asus a8v mobo

Reply to
jjs

level 4 time = 24s

level 5 time = 170s

sw2005 sp2 xp sp2

2x xeon 2.8 2gb ram ati fire glx1

steve

snipped-for-privacy@SPAMuko2.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
solid steve

level 3 time = 8s

level 4 time = 29s

level 5 time = 172s

sw2005 sp2 W2K SP4 Dell 350 P4 2.4

1gb ram nVidea Quattro4 900XGL

\/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

Looks like I am going to have to specify options. I am running:

AMD XP2000+

1Gb NVidia 500XGL Quadro SW2004

Level 3 Time = 5

Level 4 Time=21

Level 5 Time = 147

I need to figure out what different system options do to the timing. Let me ask this, Is your feature tree regenerating after every cube is drawn?

Reply to
TOP

No FM rebuilding.

The screen is flashhing but the feature tree does not change, but the sketch count appears in the top top line of the SW window.

Then at the end the model zooms to fit and appears.

CPU is at Max - Memory usage is about 400mb

Level 4 Time

56s ( confirmation corner ON, 47s ( confirmation corner OFF) , 57s (Con Corner ON) 56s ( con Corner Off)

I think my system must be slow :-) !! But why ?

Reply to
jjs

Paul,

I can't get the macro to run. Every time it aborts with "Runtime Error

  1. Object variable or With block variable not set"

Even if I accept the default path and level values, it still aborts.

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

One thing I found is that the location of your backup files matters. If it is in the default location in My Documents it will slow you down. When I find out what matters I will try to set it programmatically in order to get consistent results.

The timer reads real time, so don't touch the mouse or have anything else running when the BM is running.

My screen doesn't flash unless the sketcher is in view.

Nice thing about benchmarks is that they help find out what saves time and what costs time. For example, if turning the Conf. Corner gives a

19% speed increase then it is worth a $4,000 upgrade.
Reply to
TOP

level 3 = 4s

level 4 = 17s

level 5 = 118s

SolidWorks 2005 sp2.0 Windows XP sp2.0 P4 2.99 GHz

2.00 GB of RAM Nvidia Quadro FX 500 128 MB AGP 8x

mrcswp

Reply to
mrcswp

Open a new part before you start the macro.

Reply to
Dominic Brunelle

level 1 = 1s

level 2 = 2s

level 3 = 4s

level 4 = 14s

level 5 = 102s

SolidWorks 2005 sp2.0 Windows XP sp2.0 Dell Precision 360 P4 2.99 GHz

2.00 GB of RAM ATI FireGL X2 256 MB AGP 8x, Driver 6.14.10.6422

My backup location: C:\DOCUME~1\wmtk\LOCALS~1\TempSWBackupDirectory

Conf. corner off.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You shouldn't have to do that. I run it from a SW window with no parts and delete the part after the run.

Art,

Open the macro in the macro editor and step through it with the F8 key. Or just run it and see where it quits.

Also, what release are you running it on. SW2004 or 2005.

Reply to
TOP

i had the same problem, until i opened up a part. here is where it was bombing out....for me.

Part.SetUserPreferenceIntegerValue swUnitsLinear, swINCHES

(the above was highlighted in yellow in vb editor)

So I started a new part, and it worked after that.

mrcswp

Reply to
mrcswp

yes, 2005sp2.0 sorry about that, I mean to put that.

Reply to
mrcswp

F**** - that 4 x faster -!!! .

I will have to give my machine a serious talking to, and remind it that it on the second floor.

Jonathan

PS - Ithink my corner con was a red herring because on recent runs I see no difference on my machine.

Reply to
jjs

Level 2 = 4s Level 3 = 7s Level 4 = 29s Level 5 = 181s

Dell Precision 360 P4 2.8 Mhz 1 GB Ram Nvidia Quadro FX2000 128Mb, Windows XP SP1, SW 2005 SP 2.0

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

Wayne,

Are you messing with us here?

We have almost the same maching except for the extra Gb of Ram you have. Do you have any other services or tweaks to your machine you could tell me about?

KM

Reply to
kmaren24

Never, never will I reveal my secrets!!!!

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany