BENCHMARK STAR 2.0

Fellow Solidworks users. A new improved version of this benchmark is now available. It has been tuned to run as fast as possible on either

2004 or 2005 and to be less dependent on your system or graphics card.

My results for an Athlon XP2000+ with 1Gb RAM and 500XGL graphics card are:

2004 (3) 2.04 s (4) 8.09 s (5) 75.02 s

2005 (3) 2.32 s (4) 8.83 s (5) 79.23 s

Reply to
TOP

Hi Can you give me the link of download benchmark star. Thank you very much.

Reply to
Alvin Leung

Make sure you set TOOLS/REFERENCES

If running on 2004 make sure SolidWorks2004TypeLib is checked. If running on 2005 make sure SolidWorks2005 TypeLib is checked.

On an Athlon64 FX53, 2Gb, Nvidia FX3000 SW2005

(3) 0.71 s (4) 2.43 s (5) 39.0 s

On a 650MHz PIII, ATI Rage graphics 392Mb RAM (Laptop) SW2005

(3) 5.22 s (4) 22.0 s (5) 209.55

Reply to
TOP

Alvin,

As before is is posted on

in the Discussion Forum under the performance tab.

Alv> Hi Can you give me the link of download benchmark star. Thank you very much.

Reply to
TOP

Paul,

I'm still getting wildly varieing times. The average is

3 .90 sec 4 4.5 sec 5 42 sec

Dual Opteron 246 MSI K8T master FAR

2Gb Ram PNY 980XGL Win2000, SP4 SW2005 SP3

When you said "make sure" tools/references was set to whatever, did you mean turn off 2004 if your running 2005 and vise versa ??? Or just check to make sure they're there ??

When you turn either of them off, the macro doesn't work.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

I noticed the variation too. Possible explanations:

  1. The Timer() function is used which measures real time elapsed. If there are other processes that run while STAR is running that can effect the time. Don't touch the mouse rule applies.

  1. There really is a variation within SW that I can't explain. That seems less likely unless there is some kind of garbage collection going on in the background.

You shouldn't need the 2004 type library with 2005. Run it from the VB editor after you make the change. It seems to need a kick ITB to get going sometimes.

Reply to
TOP

My humble results - from a system that is slightly antique by today's standards:

AMD XP1800+ ASUS A7V133

1Gb PC133 RAM Nvidia Quadro2 Pro Win2k SP3 SWX2005 SP2.0

Level Time:

3) 2.85 s 4) 13.35 s 5) 104.35 s
Reply to
Adam Reif

My system isn't quite in the same league as yours, but not too far behind. Two sets of times:

(3) 1.47 & 1.58 (4) 5.47 & 5.14 (5) 42.11 & 41.51

System specs:

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum CPU: Athlon 64 3500+ Video: Quadro FX-1100 Ram: 1 Gb PC3200 OS: Win 2K SP4 HD: 2x WD Raptor 74Gb SATA, in striped array SWX: 2005 SP1.1

Art W.

Reply to
Art Woodbury

Mark

I have a similar machine spec to yours but it seems to be *much* slower :-( is there anything special I am missing?

3 = 1.4 4 = 8.6 5 = 85

Dual Opteron 246

2gig ram ATI FireGL X2 SW2005 SP2

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Mark and Rich,

First off, I misremembered my level 4 results for the FX53 as I posted from home.

SW 2005 (3) .69, .71 s (4) 3.87, 4.03, 4.43 s for three runs. (5) 37.09 s

SW 2004 (3) .64, .81 s (4) 3.43, 3.45 s (5) 33.99 s

I think scatter is normal, especially for the shorter runs. Have a good look at what is running in the background. Virus checker, services, network traffic.

I don't have a virus checker running for this test and I trimmed services per the blackviper list. I am on a network switch so I don't see other network traffic. Even email should be shut down. My task list only has 28 processes running including SW.

I will say it again that the timer times real time, so if some other process grabs a few clock cycles during the test it will show up in the results.

Reply to
TOP

My results for this version. I have never disabled anything to change my results, I run just as I run through the day - network attached, AV on, etc.

2005 (2) 0.61 s (3) 1.63 s (4) 6.75 s (5) 68.58 s

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Remind me again what you are running on. TX

Reply to
TOP

SolidWorks 2005 sp3.0 Windows XP sp2.0 Dell Precision 360 P4 2.99 GHz

2.00 GB of RAM ATI FireGL X2 256 MB AGP 8x, Driver 6.14.10.6422

My backup location: C:\DOCUME~1\wmtk\LOCALS~1\Temp­SWBackupDirectory

Conf. corner off.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Rich,

I don't really know why my home machine is so fast. My work machine is virtually identical, except for more memory, and it's slower as well.

  1. .90
  2. 5.22
  3. 44.9

The only thing I can think of is that I have full control over the machine set up at home, and it doesn't have any unnecessary junk running on it. I also set up my machine at work, but I have alot more stuff running.

That still doesn't explain why your system is running at half speed, which is what it seems like. Check the BIOS and make sure the chips are clocked right. The 246 should be clocked at 2ghz.

What mother board are you using ?? There aren't many dual Opteron boards. Some, like the Tyan, won't let you mess with the CPU clock, but should report the frequency.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

Mark

using WCPUID

I get : AMD Opteron 246 (two off) Internal Clock 1994.60MHz System Clcok 199.46MHz System bus 199.46MHz L1 cache 64K L2 cache 1024K L2 Speed 1994.60MHz

Chipset 1022-7451.01, 1022-7468-05 VGA 1002:4E4B.80

Host Bridge vendor 1022, device 7451, rev 01, sub 534D108E, AMD 8131 Soutch Bridge vendor 1022, device 7468, rev 05, sub 534D108E, AMD 8111

It's a Sun system, their own? not sure Not much running in background, but i did notice the disk keeps chugging away and very noisey. its a Seagate ST373307LW SCSI Ultra 320

Any other ideas?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The other thing to consider is that STAR measures real time, not just the CPU time devoted to running the benchmark. This means it will account for any slowdowns due to running other processes concurrently. This is, I suppose a good thing. AFAIK there isn't an easy way to time just a process like in the 'NIXes.

To prove this do a level 4 and continuously move the mouse while running. You should see a higher value than when running without touching anything.

BlackViper has a list of services you can shut down to speed up your system. Unfortunately it appears to be down.

Reply to
TOP

Rich,

Those numbers look correct. I ran the same utility on mine and got similar,(a couple of ticks faster 2004 mhz). My system uses a Via chipset instead of AMD. This doesn't come close to explaining the descrepancy though.Those are very good drives, I have a set on the server in my home office. The disk thrashing could be caused by fragmented, corrupted, or too small page file. I have 2gb of physical memory, and have my page file set at 1.5gb. The normal windows install usually sets the page equal to the physical memory. This probably won't affect the test either as it only uses about 400mb.

It could be something in the Bios is disabled (L2 cache maybe) ???

Tell ya what, I'll make some jpegs of all the screens from WCPUID and email them to you. You can compare them with your system.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

WCPUID EXPLAINS WHY MINE IS A TAD BIT FASTER:

AMD ATHLON 64 FX53 INTERNAL CLOCK 2414.99 MHZ SYSTEM BUS 210 MHZ MULTIPLIER 11.5 L2 1024K LW SPEED 2414.99 MHZ CHIPSET

1106.3188.01 1106.3227.00 MEMORY 2048 MB
Reply to
TOP

thanks mark, I'll take a look, be very nice to get to the bottom of this ;-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich