RealFlight G3

Does anyone have RF G3 up & running yet? Just got mine going yesterday & think it's the best! Any comments on this? Thanks!

Reply to
P B
  1. G3 currently does not support helicopters. A update will be issued soon to all users and there is a "Free Helicopter Update Offer form that can be filled out to get a CD-ROM sent to you. The form indicates that the expected availability date is Spring 2005 although the support forums indicate that it should arrive sooner. You can also receive the update through the normal RealFlight G3 on-line update process.

  1. Both G2 and G3 can co-exist on the same computer. G2 was typically installed in C:\Program Files\RealFlight and G3 will propose a installation location of C:\Program Files\RealFlightG3

  2. After installing the G3 CD-ROM does not have to be in the CD-ROM drive. On G2 the program typically requested the original CD-ROM on a random basis.

  1. G3 will ONLY work with the new InterLink Plus controller and G2 will ONLY work with the original InterLink controller. Both controller support using your existing radio (Futaba, JR, HITEC and Tower Systems) with the included cables.

Initial installation issues encountered:

  1. ADD-ON Volumes 1 and 2 will require a serial number which is available from the support website.

  1. My ADD-ON Volume 1 was "early version" and would not install. A call to tech support has the new CD on the way.

  2. Screen Resolution issues while running in Full Screen Mode. The program will not remember the screen resolution size that I set it to (1024 x 768). It reverts to (1600 x 1200) which. RealFlight is working on a solution. Running in window mode does not cause a problem.

Initial Impressions:

  1. The graphics have been improved and the field editor makes it easy to add or remove objects from them.

  1. The flight performance seems to be smoother and more responsive based on my limited testing.

  2. The .00 REBATE offer to existing users is a JOKE and will probably cause some G2 users to not upgrade.

Caveats to be aware of:

  1. You will need a DirectX 9 (or above) compatible 3D graphic adapter with a minimum of 32MB RAM

  1. If you are attempting to run G3 on Microsoft Windows 98 or ME you will need to do a update to your installed version. They have posted a fix to the RealFlight G3 support website

  2. Multi-Player Issues -- G3 will ONLY work with other G3 users. You cannot mix both G2 and G3 on the same server. According to RealFlight G3 requires a different server configuration.

Overall Rating: 4 out 5 Stars

I'll give them the other star when the ADD-ON 1 arrives and installs correctly and they deliver the helicopter support. RealFlight has demonstrated to me that they will correct the "bugs" that are reported to them and post updates in a timely manner and so far they have demonstrated this with the ME and 98 issue.

Here are the specifications of my computer that I have both G2 and G3 running on:

Pentium IV 3.2Ghz with 512K cache INTEL D875PBZLK Motherboard

1GB DRAM Memory operating in DDR mode ASUS V9980 ULTRA 256MB NVIDIA Video Adapter Creative Labs AUDIGY 2 ZS Sound Blaster Pro Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 2 - 250GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB Buffer SATA Drives

Reply to
Robert Willis

FWIW, it doesn't work with Matrox video cards. They say they're working on a fix. Many of the graphics effects -- ground texture decals, propeller disc, windsock, many others -- crash the application on load. About all that leaves is a Shuriken Sloper at Bunea Vista with all the scenery objects removed. Framerate is awful; it's perhaps not worth the effort. I'm down to about 15 fps, although it was cranking along at 24+ when I first got things running. Weird. A reboot might fix that; it crashed a few times since I got it running, which was only just this evening.

Except for the dearth of slope lift where I live, being stuck with nothing but a sloper in good wind isn't too horrible. Just can't seem to land it without shattering into a few million pieces. Haven't decided if I want to send it back or get yet another monitor and a PCI GeForce.

Reply to
Boat

Rebooting brought it back up to 45+ fps. I cranked the detail back up so it puts out 25 to 30 fps. Not bad. Alt+F4 seems to hose the card for the next time. Exiting from the main menu option seems to clear things up. (Something's not right. Eh?)

So what's normal when flying slopes? "Walking" down the slope from the peak so I see into the valleys (way cool; 100+ mph dives and zoom climbs) means I can't see the flat peak and downdraft zone to land. Buzzing around in front and above is pretty sedate in comparison.

Reply to
Boat

| So what's normal when flying slopes? "Walking" down the slope from the peak | so I see into the valleys (way cool; 100+ mph dives and zoom climbs) means I | can't see the flat peak and downdraft zone to land.

Slope flying is a bit unique -- you can fly all day, and never actually intentionally land. And this isn't even unusual :). Sure, maybe you crashed a few times, and ended up in a tree twice, but you never actually set up for a landing. And if you're flying a foamie, the plane is almost never damaged, so it's no big deal.

Generally the area down-wind of the top of the slope (people seem to call it the `rotor', though that doesn't seem like a very appropriate term) is very turbulent. It's generally not an ideal place to land if you're flying something that's not a foamie -- well, it may be the best place to land, but it's often not an easy landing. (Does G3 simulate this? That would be pretty cool ...)

And walking around looking for a good place to land while you're flying is certainly not unheard of ...

| Buzzing around in front and above is pretty sedate in comparison.

Most slope flying is done from the top of the slope. But it doesn't have to be sedate (but it can be, depending on the wind, the slope and what you're flying.)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Remember Add-on 5, with the Osprey tilt rotor, well it works in G3. Just you guys would like to know. It's the closest to hovering a rotary wing aircraft until the choppers are released.

Reply to
RJB

It's somewhat turbulent, with up and down shears. Pretty rough if you look at the numbers, but not so bad on the sticks. I've flown far worse. Not sure what to expect on top of an exposed knoll, too. Urban settings are probably the worst for strange gusts and shear. Hmmm. Might want to try setting up a suburban subdivision "airport" if this thing ever gets working.

Reply to
Boat

Anyone running it on a AMD processor computer? Have a flying mate that bought it and it will not run on his AMD computer. Thanks John

Reply to
John Graham

I just purchased G3 the other day and it runs pretty good: AMD 3500 64

1GB XMS Memory 6800GT Nvidia Card

The Good: Graphics are really good for a flight sim. I was impressed. Wind model is really good and it seems to be fairly accurate Flight feel is actually better then G2 in my opinion Plane editor

The Bad: Tree collision is not very good.

Reply to
bharkol1

Stay out of the trees and it wouldn't be a problem!

Reply to
Kevin

Reply to
John Graham

He meant the collision envelope on trees is different from the graphics. The invisible "branches" snag the plane from a good distance away, about 6' or so from the couple of times it happened. Two wingspans is a noticeable error. It's as he said; the collision detection for trees is not very good. I would term it quite poor.

Reply to
Boat

Having major problems with my new G3, have been in contact with G3 support but still can' get it to run.

flierbk

Reply to
Flierbk

Reply to