Ship in a bottle for my new PC

Time 1 - 26.7 Time 2 - 26.0 Time 3 - 20.7 Time 4 - 20.6

CPU - Athlon X2 4600+ Dual Core Memory - 2Gb Corsair Mobo - ASUS A8N Premium Graphics Card - Nvidia FX 1400

Is there anywhere online where I can compare these times, it would be nice to know I'm getting all my moneys worth :)

John Layne

John Layne

Test was run at 1280 x 1024

John Layne

Reply to
John Layne

What resolution did you run it at? I found the benchmark to be somewhat sensitive to window size.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

John,

Follow the directions at

TOP

Is 23.65 at the slowest setting of time 1?

I'll have to read up on this overclocking business. But I'll leave it a few weeks to become familiar with SolidWorks 2006 so I don't blame the crashes on the PC!

John Layne

John Layne
23.65

1280x960

Biostar 6100-939 nvidia4

4x512 533 RAM FX540 4400X2 3GB Switch XP2 Overclocked 20%

Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell

Devon T. Sowell
2x 74GB 10K HDs

OS on one HD, Data on the other.

Devon

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Test-1....28.8 Test-2....28.0 Test-3....21.1 Test-4....20.1

Alienware Box

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+

2 GB PC3200 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT Adapter RAM: 256MB DriverVersion: 6.14.10.7777

Hard Drive HD-HI250GBSATAII Size: 250GB Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

Don

Reply to
dvanzile

Reprinted from the referenced website:

Make four runs with the following settings:

  1. TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOCUMENT PROPERTIES/IMAGE QUALITY -- Shaded to the far right Have VIEW/DISPLAY/SHADED WITH HLR checked.
  2. TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOCUMENT PROPERTIES/IMAGE QUALITY -- Shaded to the far right Have VIEW/DISPLAY/SHADED WITH HLR unchecked.
  3. TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOCUMENT PROPERTIES/IMAGE QUALITY -- Shaded to the far left Have VIEW/DISPLAY/SHADED WITH HLR checked.
  4. TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOCUMENT PROPERTIES/IMAGE QUALITY -- Shaded to the far left Have VIEW/DISPLAY/SHADED WITH HLR unchecked.

When reporting results for 50 iterations give the following information: CPU make and model Memory make and quantity Graphics card make, model and driver The results of the test as:

RESOLUTION TIME1/TIME2/TIME3/TIME4

Note: The different settings in 1 thru 4 above put less load on the graphics card as they progress. By comparing the different settings you can get some idea of the effect your graphics processor has on the whole process. Never save the part, it is not necessary and may give differing results from run to run.

For Example:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+

1GB Kingston ValueRAM NVidia FX550 XGL Driver unknown

SW2003

1280x1024 41.625/30.078/40.265/30.328

SW2004

1280x1024 42.45/31.54/40.88/30.91

SW2005

1280x1024 41.484/31.266/40.75/30.88

SW2006

1280x1024 41.55/31.55/41.09/31.39
Reply to
TOP

P4 2.53Ghz (2002 Xi system)

1.5GB DDR ECC PC2100 266 MHz Ram NVidia Quadro4 750XGL

SW2006 SP3.4

1280x1024 51.86/49.94/39.80/39.76
Reply to
Brian Putnam

My average was 54 seconds.

Dell Precision 530 2.2Ghz, Xenon

1 Gb Rambus memory Wildcat III 6110 with 64 Meg Video Memory Using 6.5.2.9 video driver

Windows XP Pro SolidWorks 2006 SP3.0

Reply to
MrSlabaugh

Hypersonic Aviator FX7 (laptop) AMD X2 4800+ (dual core)

2 Gb RAM nVidia Quadro Go FX1400

27.2 21.1 edges shown

26.1 20.5 no edges 27.5 21.2 wireframe (not shaded) 27.5 21.4 hlr (not shaded) 27.7 21.4 hlg (not shaded) 21.2 19.0 (graphics window not showing)

Boxx Technologies 3200 AMD FX57 (single core)

3 Gb RAM nVidia Quadro4 3450

HI LO (image quality)

24.4 18.2 edges shown 23.4 17.5 no edges 26.4 18.5 wireframe (not shaded) 27.3 18.9 hlr (not shaded) 25.3 19.2 hlg (not shaded) 18.5 15.8 (graphics window not showing)

I believe that the ship-in-a-bottle is not a very representative benchmark, especially when it comes to dual core machines, and also when it comes to more complex feature types. The dual core averaged between

50-54% CPU usage on this part. I have several parts where the usage at times climbs to 100%, with different types of features. While the dual core doesn't look particularly spactacular on this part compared against the single core FX57, I have other parts where it is considerably faster than the FX57.

Also see this thread for a more in-depth comparison on a wider variety of parts:

matt

Matt,

I'd certainly like to see examples that exercise a dual core. Maybe I can work them into a decent benchmark.

As far as SIB goes, your BOXX is about the all time fastest I have seen especially on 2006.

Reply to
TOP

"John Layne"

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Is that SW06 for 64bit, or 32bit SW on Win 64?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Those numbers were the first time Craig ran it, with 32 bit SW06 SP2.1 on Win 64, but it didn't make any significant difference when he ran the beta

64 bit SW06.

Jerry Steiger

Compaq Deskpro Workstation AP230

1000MHz Pentium 3 (yes, that's not a typo) 384 Megs of Ram NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR/EX Windows 2K Pro SWx 2005, SP5.0

114.9

105.2 80.9 80.5

What a screamer, eh??

Let the laughing commence.... :)

Reply to
IYM

I wonder if your boss knows how much money he is losing by making you use an antique.

John Layne

John Layne
*Sigh* - I've tried to bring it up in meetings for a very long time now, but the issue just dies. There are 3 others just like mine. We're supposedly due for an upgrade this year according to management. Mighty nice of them to consider Engineering, huh? :)

"John Layne" > 384 Megs of Ram

Reply to
IYM

Gee, why use a push broom when the toothbrush you are given works just fine for cleaning the shop floor!

Our company thinks that schedules will be met no matter how long we have to work into the evening or on weekends to complete the task. Since we are salaried employees, labor costs will not be saved by spending money on a capital improvement. It costs the company more to upgrade then to continue as we are doing now.

Reply to
MrSlabaugh