File Open Views Drop-Down List

On the File menu, I click Open. In the Select File dialog box in the Views drop-down list, the view type always reverts to Preview in a new session of
AutoCAD, even after I changed the view type to Details or List.
Is there any method that anyone knows of that will force File Open to retain the Details setting?
Ironically, the Autodesk Knowledge Base documents an issue where it is not possible to retain the default setting as anything BUT Details! (Reference http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID 3112&id(67127&linkID$75323). This is exactly how I would like our AutoCAD to be setup!
I am running AutoCAD 2000i on Windows XP Professional. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Randy Seys MICO, Inc. North Mankato, MN snipped-for-privacy@mico.com