Floating License

Guys and Gals, Does anyone know if a floating solidworks license can be used legally by a remote designer if he is not directly networked to the companys network, or does he need a stand alone license. The reason I am asking is that I have a company that wants to give me some part time design work but they only carry floating licenses and I would like to do the work from home. What options do I have?

Thanks,

Reply to
thestew

My guess on the legality of it is that if a floater is available, then who cares who uses it. If the company will allow you to use one of their licenses in a manner that doesn't appear to violate the agreement, then go for it. Then it becomes a technological issue. Can you connect to their server via VPN and start SW, pointing it to that server to find the license?

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Just a thought after lots of decades in design.

Get the software & hardware tools and training you need so you can work anywhere anytime.

That makes you a far more valuable person and able to respond at a moment's notice to OPPORTUNITY.

Buy your own seat of SolidWorks & run with it. That will give you the incentive to push hard for business.

I just went to a So. Cal. area company that does fast turnaround aluminum MUD base inserts for quick plastic parts yesterday . In talking with them, One tool designer they use is on the East Coast, and they do all their work via the Internet.

That designer on the East Coast has done his homework and pushed the limits of where he gets business successfully.

No reason any designer can't reach a larger audience of customers like that today.

Bo

Reply to
Bo

One option would be a remote login, like logmein. With a reasonably fast connection you can work from home on the companies' computers. It's a not bad - not great solution. I use it for working at home to access our company network and operating software. I run a licensed copy of SW06 and SW07 on the home computers; then update the files to whatever version I need at work.

Logmein has a free version at

regards, Diego

Reply to
Diego

. In talking with them, One tool designer

How much will a seat of SW cost???

Reply to
thestew

Wayne, I think that the problem is they dont want me to have full access to the network for security reasons. What is VPN? YOu know they get a disc from the VAR with Solidworks and it can be loaded on any machine but without a network connection nothing is keeping track of how many licenses are being used, I think they are worried about getting in trouble for more licenses getting used than what they are paying for.

Reply to
thestew

thestew,

I think it is pretty simple. If that company has a network license you just borrow it (it is the term sw corp. uses and I think it can be done up to 30 days so you can work remotely without having internet access). If they have stand alone licenses then they return one to the SW server and you activate yours via the net. This requires you to install the software with a matching serial number. After this you don't need internet or LAN access. Otherwise my understanding is that you can install the software on multiple computers as long as you using as many of them as the company paid for.

Regards Attila

Reply to
bertok

VPN is Virtual Private Network. Basically a tunnel into their network. It allows you to connect from a remote site and interact with the network as if you were there. But if they don't want to give you full access, you may be hosed.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

. In talking with them, One tool designer

Retail is about $4000 last I heard, for the basic package

Bo

Reply to
Bo

VPN = Virtual Private Network, which means basically end to end high DES encrypted security.

I've found you pay a bit of a penalty in speed loss for VPN, though.

Bo

Reply to
Bo