Floating License Questions

We have 4 seats of ProE that we have had probably 10 or 12 years. All were orginally locked licenses, and only 2 seats had sheet metal. Someone in Engineering contacted Rand and bought a license change that converted the 2 sheet metal machines into floating license from the fixed. What they wanted and what they thought they were buying were floating licenses that would allow the 2 non-sheet metal machines to use the sheet metal of the floaters as long as the floaters were not using the sheet metal module. I get to install the licenses and during the process of trying to get the licenses correct I verify with several people that the floaters could be using ProE and that other people could use the sheet metal at the same time as long as the floater wasn't using it. I get the machines all configured and discover that if a floater has any part of ProE open then no one can access the sheet metal module, ie, the floaters sheet metal can only be used if the floater machine does not have ProE open.

Is this consistant with other people with similair license arrangements? Have I not configured something correctly?

Today a Rand support guy said that was the way it was supposed to work so I have heard it both ways.

Reply to
RG

Use the LMtools that and see who has which licenses checked out when the floaters are running. You could also try to open the locked seats with sheetmetal and then open a floater and see what happens. The other thing to consider is bundles. If the sheetmetal license is bundled with Pro/E on the floating license, that will prevent the locked seat from opening it.

Reply to
Ben Loosli

I read this as: Originally you had 4 fixed licences

2 x fixed Pro/Engineer 2 x fixed Pro/Engineer + Sheet metal

And you have changed to

2 x fixed Pro/Engineer 2 x floating Pro/Engineer + sheet metal

It sounds like that although you have bought floating licences, it looks like they are still a combined licence. So if one of the two machines grabs a floating licence, then regardless of whether or not the user has sheet metal open the licence is being used.

I assume what you need is

4 x fixed Pro/Engineer 2 x Floating Sheet metal

Reply to
Rog

This is my opinion only... so ymmv:

When RAND or PTC changed your licences they probably wanted you to go to Foundation as a base package. Now all of your old floating add ons are tied to particular Foundations seats that are floating.

IE:

4 Seats of Pro-Engineer 2 Floating Licences of Sheet Metal

may have become:

2 Floating Seats of Foundation 2 Floating Seats of Foundation with Sheet Metal

It gets better. As I know it, all of your floating licences MUST be tied to a particular seat of foundation. Thus the new 'packages' from PTC.

Rog wrote:

Reply to
Chris Gosnell