Floating Hand reamers ??

Hi

If I have a hand reamer with a parallel shank can it somehow be "floated" from the tailstock to ream a drilled hole or must a machine reamer with tapered shank in a floating chuck be used ?

Or at the end of the day is it better to just use the hand reamer by hand out of the lathe???

Hope this makes sense.

regards Tim

Reply to
Tim Nash (aka TMN)

Assuming it has a center hole in the back why not use a tap wrench to hold it, and the tailstock to guide it? That said Ive used han reamers in the mill by just 'chucking' them in a collet on the shank, and that worked ok for what I needed

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Same here.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You can get floating reamer holders with collets, I've got one for my mill. Alternatively put a chuck in an MT floating holder, though the weight might then become an issue. I should think holding it in a tailstock chuck will do a better job than holding it by hand, depending in part on how good your tailstock alignment is.

Tim

Reply to
Tim L