Weldment Mates

I made a 3D sketch and then used the weldment toolbar to put in some angle structural pieces. Then I sketched a line and inserted a square tube. I wanted to do a coincident mate reference of the top side of the angle and the top side of the sq. tube. I highlight both surfaces. No mate. I am not experienced. Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong. I am using the weldment toolbar and related icons. Help is appreciated.

Reply to
billyb

mates in parts are not really mates.

insert>features>move/copy body.

Reply to
kenneth

When you are working in a SW weldment, you are in a multi-body part environment. But to do just what you are asking about, they added a slick interface. When you click on the line to tell it to run the tube down that line, then you have a button to press that will let you position right then and there. But to accomplish that, you first have to have a node point at that location in the profile sketch. Take a look at the help files for the "weldments, pierce points".

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

THIS IS GREAT HELP TO ME, TO BE HONEST I DID NOT KNOW THIS FEATURE/ OPTION EXISTED. NOT SURE I SAW IT IN THE BOOK I HAVE (BY D. MURRAY) I AM LEARNING THE MANIPUTATION OF IT RIGHT NOW. IS THE WELDMENT TOOLBAR REALLY THE EASIEST WAY TO GO WHEN MAKING A WELDMENT?

Reply to
billyb

(Hey, turn off the caps.)

When I am in that mode, I do use the toolbar. But I also don't use it very often because of the stuff we design, so my opinion is very limited. Others here will probably have a better opinion.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I found the node section/weldments in the book, not sure how I missed it before. Thanks again.

Reply to
billyb

silly me, i replied to the subject line and not the message. ;|

Reply to
kenneth

I have another one. I am trying to insert a part into the weldment, i.e. insert a body into the weldment. I am thinking like dragging a part into an assemlby. Not Working. I went to Insert/Features/MoveCopy, but how do I insert a body or part into the weldment this way? Earlier I have made an extrusion and copy it and moved it using this comman, fine I see that method for copy and moving. But I dont see how to insert a body or part using this command??? If you can suggest, I appreciate it.

Reply to
billyb

When you do an insert part, toggle on the reposition part option. I also have it put in the planes to use for positioning as well. Then you can position it with the mating dialog box that comes up. NOT THE MATE for an assembly

I believe your referring to the TRANSLATE and ROTATE options in the Locate Part dialogue box, right?

Reply to
billyb

What version are you using. In 2007 & 2008 when you do an insert part , you have an option of what entities to transfer and to also launch the move dialog box. The move dialog box come up when you pick the graphics window and puts the part there. Then the move dialog box has the same general mate constraint options that an assembly has. This is separate from the translate/rotate choice but that is also at the bottom of the locate part mate settings box.

working on 2006 personal edition

Reply to
billyb