2004 weldment drawings

Has anybody tried to create drawings of weldments in 2004?

My question is this:

How do you create a drawing of a cutlist item when it is cylindrical in shape?

SWX2004 requires that you pick two faces to define the orientation of the drawing view, i.e., front, right, top, etc. It also requires that the two faces that are chosen are perpendicular to each other. This leads to the problem of defining the orientation of a cylindrical shape.

I know that I can create a view of the entire weldment and hide all of the other bodies in the weldment, but it would be nice if there were another way.

Any pointers are appreciated, Leo

Reply to
Leo Hursh

Have you went through the whats new yet? I think that expalins a lot about the Weldments and cut lists. The only problem with Cut lists that I'm aware of is you can only have one cut list per sheet, not per assembly.

Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Scott,

The "whats new" says the same thing as the help. The problem with defining the orientation for a cylinder is that there are not 2 flat faces that are perpendicular to each other.

So far I have just inserted a view of the weldment in a config with all bodies hidden except the cylindrical part. The drawback to this is the time to do it and that I also have to manually set the item number to reference back to the cutlist.

Leo

Reply to
Leo Hursh

Can you use planes?

___________________ Todd Bennett Celerity Group, Inc snipped-for-privacy@celerity.net

Reply to
T Bennett

Todd,

Thanks for the input. I tried that but it won't let me choose a plane to orient from.

The problem is that if you choose faces from more than one body, it inserts a view of the entire weldment. To insert a view of one part only, you must choose faces from the same body.

Leo

Reply to
Leo Hursh

How about making a planar surface (or even an extrusion) that will create a face on the plane. Align your view to it, then hide the feature/surface. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd try it myself :) Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

Bill,

That worked. I was able to make a small extrusion and use it to orient my part. In the drawing I hid the lines of the extrusion.

Thank you, Leo

Reply to
Leo Hursh