Mirroring sub-assemblies

I recently ran into a problem with this. I mirrored a sheetmetal plate that goes on the right side of this design. I needed to create the mirror-image part on the left. To this end, I mirrored the complete right bracket assembly. This included PEM nuts, PEM studs and rivets.

Somewhere during the design I discovered that changes to the original sub-assembly were not propagating to the mirrored sub-assembly. I would add a PEM nut or two and it wouldn't show-up on the left. Generally speaking, changes to the part (not the sub-assembly) would propagate. So, a new hole would show-up on the left but the mating PEM hardware wouldn't.

Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be a way to force an update of the mirrored component. I've resorted to deleting it and re-creating it using the mirror command again. Not a huge problem because I've been careful about not referencing anything off the auto-magically created part. However, I have to re-mate it and the whole thing is an invitation for making a mistake.

Thanks,

-Martin

A long, long time ago (in another galaxy), I replied to a mirrored assembly issue with a procedure I wrote for my company. SW doesn't handle mirrored assemblies (sheetmetal included) well. I have not tried SW2K7 yet. Basically it was to do one side really good, join the parts and mirror that newly created joined part. It seems to work well and I have never heard any responses back from this group about it. If you or anyone else is interested, I could re-post it.

Reply to
Keith Streich

I certainly would be. Thanks,

-Martin

Here we go again! Original was around 6-27-06

It's not perfect and would appreciate anyone's input.

RH & LH Weldment Procedures

Prerequisites for opposite hand weldments, automatically updating all documentation showing.

1.. Added or removed parts and sub-weldments. 2.. New or eliminated machining operations to any parts, sub-weldments or to the base weldment (part & assembly features). 3.. Changed part or sub-weldment orientations or locations (mates). 4.. Proper bill of materials generation for both RH & LH weldment with minimal user intervention or modifications. 5.. All parts and sub-weldments must not be modified, but maintained as separate part and assembly files, allowing for proper documentation and representation.

Since Solidworks "mirror component" command can not automatically perform all of these requirements, the following procedure will accommodate the above conditions with minimal effort to when creating and modifying RH/LH weldments.

Key points and modification issues.

1.. The base weldment will have all parts and sub-weldments inserted and mated in the RH (right hand) weldment. This will allow future users to know which weldment requires revisions. 2.. The "Join" feature will be used in the RH weldment to glue all parts and sub-weldment together before mirroring. Future weldment modifications must have the "Join" feature suppressed before any part or weldment changes and then unsuppressed when done (this is no longer required with the current version of SW). If any parts or sub-weldments were added or removed to the RH weldment, the "Join" feature needs to be edited and all new components added to the feature's "Parts to Join" input. 3.. Solidworks automatically hides parts when creating or editing the "Join" feature, so one must show and hide parts and sub-weldments before and after modifying the RH weldment.

Steps for LH weldment creation.

1.. A new part will be added to the RH weldment, which will contain nothing via the command "Insert | Component | New part". The naming conversion should be the RH weldment number with the wording "Weldment, RH, Composite" following this number (example: XXXXX-0XXX, weldment, RH, composite). This blank part should be reference to any plane in the RH weldment. Once this part has been added, finish editing it and then re-edit it in place, perform an "insert | feature | Join" and select all parts and sub-weldments by either the graphics window or feature tree, accept this to finish the command and then finish editing the part. This operation will create one feature in this new part file consisting of a single body comprised from all the original parts and sub-weldments. The original parts and sub-weldments should all be hidden in the RH weldment when this command has been completed and only this new part shown. SAVE! 2.. Perform an "insert | mirrored components", select an appropriate face or plane to mirror about and then select the new part (ensure the part's box is checked). Select "next". 3.. The file name should be the RH weldment number with any appropriate suffix and with the wording "Weldment, LH, Composite" following the number (example: XXXXX-1XXX, weldment, LH, composite). Accept this to finish the new mirrored part. SAVE! 4.. Click on the configurations tab and rename the default configuration to "RH Weldment". 5.. Add a new configuration "LH Weldment" 6.. Ensure the "LH Weldment" configuration is current, switch to the feature tab and right click the new LH part and select "Fix". Right click the RH part and select "Suppress". 7.. Now make the "RH Weldment" configuration current, switch back to the feature tab and right click the LH part and select "suppress". SAVE! 8.. Now a single assembly file contains both RH & LH weldments controlled via configurations. Modify any custom and configuration specific properties to properly specify BOM information. SAVE!
Reply to
Keith Streich

I was really hoping to get a response this time. Maybe it's to complicated or just not spelled out enough. I know there are issues with this procedure, mostly not accurate or automated BOM's for the LH version.

One would think if SolidWorks wanted to have a new and improved enhancement for their marketing team, making mirrored assemblies fool proof (that's me) with BOM's should be at the top of their list.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Streich

Ok, here's a response. We don't bother will Solidworks Assembly Mirror feature. We mirror at part level. Although a little more time consuming, it offers a bit more control over the mirrored part. ;)

Reply to
kenneth

Yes, that would solve the mirrored assembly feature problems (not to use it).

When I told the doctor my arm hurt when I raised it over my head, he said, then don't raise your arm over your head.

Seems the solution is to fix the mirrored assembly feature, which could be a great time savings and simple way to create similar but opposite parts and assemblies, a practice which has existed since draftsmen sharpen their pencils.

Reply to
Keith Streich

Keith, I'm going to copy down your procedure and give it a try thru a couple of exercises. We make many LH/RH assemblies, mostly sheet metal parts and hardware, and this could save some time. However at this point I'm with Kenneth - we don't use the assembly mirror because it's worked inconsistently (with our admittedly uncontrolled process.)

This forum is great for sharing and learing best practices. Thanks for sharing yours. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear about your arm. 25 years ago while doing lots of cycling my knees began to ache. Rather than follow a recomendation to change sports, I worked out a careful exercise program and was able to overcome the pain and continue doing something I love doing. Last year while hiking in the snow I re-injured both knees and haven't been able, so far, to eliminate the pain of inflamation and some arthritus. At 50+ years my wetware isn't responding very well. I hope to find a best practise to overcome this.

I hope SW will someday retire many of the agravations and work arounds we've all come to love and cherish.

peace, Diego

Reply to
Diego

Reply to
Keith Streich

Keith

Hey Keith, at least I got some dialog going. ;)

Reply to
kenneth

Mirrored parts isn't exactly working as it should either. For instance, hole wizard infomation is not passed on to the mirrored part. Another short coming is mirroring sheet metal parts. The mirrored part is no longer a sheet metal part. Must use insert bend to convert it to a sheet metal part.

SW needs to fix these fundamental mirror problems at both the assembly and part level.

Reply to
euchre45887

Lets not forget the passing down (or lack) of dimensions.

-DWH

Reply to
Anonymous

isn't the flat identical for both?

Reply to
kenneth

"kenneth" a écrit dans le message de news:

6PuOh.3647$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net...

Not if one side is polished + paper...

Reply to
Jean Marc

yes, i suppose so.

it just depends on which side of the fence you're on. we don't fabricate in house. our vendors would have no trouble mirroring the flat from parent.

Reply to
kenneth

SW longer sees the newly created mirrored part as a sheetmetal part. One could no longer use sheetmetal features on it unless they inserted a bend or such. One could not obtain the flat pattern of it also, only unbends the newest bends since the mirror feature. It's basically a dumb solid.

Reply to
Keith Streich

You can still manually unbend it.

John H

Reply to
John H

mirrored part as a sheetmetal part. One

Once you insert sheet metal bends the mirrored part does unfold; then you can add other features including all the sheet metal functions, that would make this part not just mirrored but unique. Another reason the flats might not be the same is if you were laser marking opposite sides, which we do a lot of, for weld locations and fit up.

Diego

Reply to
Diego