Sub-assemblies in BOM

Have inserted my hardware in my assembly as subassemblies, now in the bom I want to just show the parts, bolt, nut, washer etc as seperate items with th ecorrect quantities. I also have configurations of the subs with various distances, only 2, depending on the joint being bolted together, how can I get the BOM to group all the same parts together. All else failing I could always dissolve the sub in th eassembly.

Any insights appreciated.

Steve R

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

Steve,

If I understand your question correctly,

1) Create a drawing for the highest level assembly. 2) Insert a view of the assembly 3) Insert BOM 3a) Under BOM Type check i) parts only 3b) Under Part Configuration Grouping check both i) Display as one Item number ii) Display all configurations of The same part as one

Tom

Steve Re> Have inserted my hardware in my assembly as subassemblies, now in the bom I

Reply to
brewertr

The problem with checking parts only is that I have other subs in there that I do not want to expand. If I insert as indented BOM I can collapse those subs but the ones I want to expand show as indented under the parent sub as XX.1, etc and same parts are listed seperatly.

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

How about if you RMB on Sub assy Config in FM - properties in there is box to check "Don't show child components BOM when used as sub-assembly" DeSelect that option for Subs that you want to show all parts

Reply to
Nev Williams

the problem with that is that the subs are in other detail drawings where I need to list all the parts and it still does not solve the problem of listing the individual hardware parts correctly.

Reply to
Steve Reinisch

"Steve Reinisch" wrote in news:VaSdnXa5ucNOLVXZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@magma.ca:

Create a derived config with a different setting?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Took the words right out of my mouth !

Reply to
Nev Williams

I'm coming to this a bit late, having been on holiday, so maybe the problem has been resolved. If you have "dummy" sub-assemblies in order to group parts together but you wish all the parts at all levels of the hierarchy to be displayed in a BOM then select the slightly-misnamed "parts only" option. This will display all parts across all assembly levels. If one of the sub-assemblies is a "real" one that has its own drawing and BOM, or if it is (for example) a bought-in pneumatic cylinder/piston/clevis which you wish to display as a one-line item then you have to open up the assembly on its own, and set the option not to show its contents when used as a sub-assy. Solidworks then treats it like a part, and it will show up in the BOM as a one line item.

John H

Reply to
John H