Hi Gil,
Gil Alsberg schrieb:
occasions
still
sub-assembly is
mates
which
between
As far as I know this a normal and typical behaviour in SolidWorks since the first version I know (2000). There is no possiblity in an assembly with subassemblies to move parts of a subassembly even if these parts have degrees of freedom.
If you want to move parts in the main assembly then you need to go this way. An other possible way around would be configurations of the subassemblies with different positions of the parts...
Greetings
Markus
(email: remove the second "_")
Reply to
ML
Hi,
I have a rather simple assembly with 16 parts, 5 of them are axles which are
parallel to each other.
I wonder if anybody could share his thoughts on my experience with
assemblies and mates - especially when those assemblies include
sub-assemblies.
Here goes my experience:
A. When creating sub-assemblies within assemblies, there are occasions
where solidworks stuck sub-assemblies and parts, although they have still
one way of freedom. this happens with no error message: the sub-assembly is
just fixed in place while attempting free drag (there are no InPlace mates
and no FIX condition. they are also not fully-defined).
Sometimes two or more parts in a sub assembly which are not fully
defined between them appear in the major assembly as a bunch of parts which
are "frozen" or glued together although there are degrees of freedom between
them, and they move only as a whole assembly together.
B. If I reconstruct the assembly which appears in paragraph A, as a
simple assembly with no sub-assemblies (one "layer" hierarchy), then
everything works fine and as expected - peculiar isn't it!
This is the second time this happens me on an assembly with sub-assemblies,
and it forces me to abandon completely the sub-assemblies on my assemblies -
this really sucks when projects starts to be complicated and in relation to
BOM in drawings and who knows what else!
BTW, I use SW2006 SP4.1
Gil
Reply to
Gil Alsberg
Unless I'm misunderstanding your needs, there's flexible subassemblies, and although they have their issues sometimes, they've been improved in 2006. They've been around since at least SW 2005 from my poor memory.
With these you can still move individual parts of a sub assembly in a top level assembly.
All you need to do is leave some degrees of freedom in your sub assembly free, and designate the sub assembly as flexible in the upper assembly. (Right click the sub assembly in the feature manager, Component Properties, Solve as, flexible.
Good luck.
--Matt Schroeder
Reply to
Matt Schroeder
You can move parts of a subassembly within an assembly. You need to go to the component properties dialog box and change "Solve As" from "Rigid" to "Flexible".
Reply to
adamek
Nothing surprising here, this is basic functionality. Sounds like a training issue.
Reply to
FlowerPot
Matt, Thanks!!! that's exactly what I wanted! a magic sequence of mouse clicks. I'm so glad I have this newsgroup for all my solidworks questions.
Regards, Gil
Reply to
Gil Alsberg
Hi Markus, Read the reply Matt posted to my question - it might surprise you, as it helped me a lot!
Regards, Gil
Reply to
Gil Alsberg
You should feel fortunate...a lot of cad programs don't have this option.
Gil Alsberg wrote:
Reply to
Jason
it has been around since 2001 or 01+. it was improved significantly in 05, but it has been there for a while.
Reply to
FlowerPot
If Matt is correct, as to the point that this functionality was introduced in SW2005, then it is not so obvious as some might think. Regarding the training issue: I guess you are right. (although I still managed to get CSWP certified before a couple of months, without knowing this functionality).
Cheers, Gil
Reply to
Gil Alsberg
Indeed, I am feeling fortunate!
Reply to
Gil Alsberg
"Flexible Assemblies", they are neat but use with caution. Overuse will get you (or at least your SolidWorks assembly) into trouble.
Ken
Reply to
Tin Man
Which ones??
John H
Reply to
John H
To expand on that..... One of the key benefits to splitting a large assembly into sub-assemblies is it makes it much easier for SWX to solve the mates, as it can solve them for each sub-assy in turn, after which it treats the sub-assys as single entities - this is why the original poster found they were moving as a single block.
If you use the "flexible" option, it effectively has to solve the assembly as if all the components (and hence all their mates) were added to the top level. It therefore gets complicated = slower = sometimes falls over.
So I would say it's an invaluable feature at times, but only use it when you HAVE to.
John H
Reply to
John H
John, That was a terrific summation of the value of subassemblies in dynamically moving systems (and issues with flexible subassemblies). Nice
Reply to
ed1701