just getting into the ballooing and BOM creating in drawings, and I'm
running into an annoying problem. I have an exploded view of an assembly
with sub assemblies, and what I really want in one set of balloons which
point to all the parts and give them an individual number (other than
multiple instances of course). Instead, my balloons seem to reference the
top assembly only, leaving me with only a couple of balloons which reference
the sub assemblies as though they were individual parts.
Is there a way to get the balloons for each part?
If you are using the Excel based BOM, then do a RMB on the BOM & select
properties. On the configuration tab, select "Show parts only." This will
blow out all the parts, including the sub parts.
If you are using the new one in 2004, the process is the same - go to
properties and change the setting there.
Thanks for the advice. The only trouble is that while I can get the BOM to
show all the parts, I only get Automatic Balloons for the top level assembly
components. What I really want is balloons for all the different parts in
the BOM. Am I still missing something?
I'm not sure what else to suggest as it appears to work for me. What SW
version are you using? Which BOM type? The only other thought is for you
to send me a copy of the drawing & model and I will load it & try that one
specifically. Then I can try exactly the same procedure you are. Or, can
you describe a step by step process for me to try here? Be specific, like
click here, wait for this, look at how it does this.....
I tried creating a new drawing, and now the BOM and the balloons match and
update perfectly. In the first drawing, I didn't tick the 'show parts' bit
in the BOM creation box the first time round, and I also did the auto
balloons first. This seemed to mean that every set of Auto Balloons only
showed the top level components, even though I could get the BOM to show all
parts, assemblies and everything else.
maybe a bug, or probably me just not knowing what I'm doing.....
Thanks for your help anyway!
Based on a test I just did, it would appear that any existing balloons
update just fine when switching between showing all parts vs. showing
assy's. However, when the setting is changed, and there are existing
balloons, the number of balloons doesn't change. That is to say that new
ones aren't added and duplicates aren't deleted. Makes sense when you think
Yeah, I understand that. I guess the thing was I started on the wrong foot
and tried deleting all of teh balloons so that I could start again - but
this wasn't working and I was stuck with teh same number of balloons. I even
tried a new sheet, but the balloons were the same. New drawing all together
solved it though!
Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.