04 sp1.0 balloons

Hello all.

I really like the new way the balloons work. The old way was horrible. Right now the old way looks better. I can't figure out how to add balloons to a view of a subassembly and have the balloon numbers match those on the BOM attached to the main assembly.

It used to be that if the main assembly view was selected during balloon placement, the numbers would match. Not today. I pick on the component in the subassembly drawing view, then pick again to place the balloon. The wrong number appears in the balloon and the main assembly view is de- selected.

Is there another method other than wasting time with special configurations of the main assembly? Am I the only one seeing this?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Welcome to the world of SW screwed up BOMs. I have bitched about this very thing ever since they allowed you to rearange the feature tree in an assembly. The only way it will work in 2004 with the new SW BOM is to have your BOM to be TOP LEVEL ONLY. Then you have to show all of the configs in the BOM and blah blah blah. Its a real POFS. The only way we have found to get it to work is to use the excel based bom and insert a BOM in every view that is a different configuration. You then hide all of the BOM's you dont need and your balloons will follow every time. The other way around is to LOCK VIEW FOCUS on the view that contains the BOM. We've informed Our VAR that we wont be renewing our subscription till this crap gets fixed along with another buggy problem with drawings from

2003

Dale Dunn wrote:

Reply to
1

Fascinating. Locking the drawing view works. But I had to turn on dynamic drawing view activation so I could lock it. I never needed to do this before. I used to double-click the assembly view to activate it, select it, then get on with placing balloons.

I don't like dynamic drawing view activation.

I totally agree that the new BOM is not useable. It is so amazingly incomplete.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

After reading your post last night, I tried locking on sheet one assembly view, open sheet two sub-assembly and still get unsynchronized balloon numbers.

Kman

Reply to
Kman

"Kman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I have never heard of a way to do that, other than making both views on sheet 1. For some time, I worked on a macro that would have helped with this, but I got all tangled up in trying find a robust method to get good info from the BOM. I got discouraged when 2004 came out and turned to more achievable projects.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

OK that makes sense now. Somehow I made the leap you were trying to place a sub-assembly on another sheet. That being said, it would be nice if SW would allow sub-assemblies on alternate sheets and have the balloons match. Besides creating configurations and then hiding bom items.

Kman

Reply to
Kman