SW BOM and Balloons

I just tossed a drawing with a SWBOM over the wall this afternoon and got it tossed back at me.

The SWBOM numbering was all screwed up. I attached balloons to each part in the assembly (relatively simple assy.) and then counted the balloon numbers; they didn't add up to the number of a particular part in the BOM. After saving and reloading the drawing the BOM was even more screwed up.

I switched to an excel based BOM and everything worked as it should including the balloon numbers.

Has anyone else seen this? SW2004 SP5.0

Reply to
TOP

Top, I have also seen this, an assembly with 24 parts with 25 balloons numbered 1 to 25, lol Adding any more balloons, continued with the number 25, no matter what part I selected. So I had two balloons on one part with two different numbers for it. I also went back to the excel bom template.

Reply to
pete

Check to make sure that the view with the balloons is tied to the BOM. If you did some changing around, I can see a chance that the view is looking at a different config, or something.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Only one config in the assembly. But many of the parts had multiple configs. The Excel BOM had no problem. But when I deleted and recreated the SWBOM things just got worse.

I made the assumption that such a basic functionality was checked, tested and would work without question. Wrong again.

Reply to
TOP

In the drawing view with the balloons: RMB, properties, select "Keep linked to BOM" This helps for me in SW2005 and stops the Balloons giving strange numbers. \/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

Believe me it has not improved on 2005 sp3.1 or 4ev. Just today for about the 3rd time in a week I've had SW BOMs and ballons screwing themselves. I've had the extra Balloon number trick, that should not be there. Today new one ... A balloon placed on a SMC Air Cylinder downloaded from their Website, refuses to come up with a item number, just a asterisk * Now I do know that this behaviour occurs if the check box "do not include in BOM" is ticked in properties of sub assy, but it was not checked. No way could I force the item number that appeared in the BOM to show up in balloon, just this frigging * .......!#&%$

Reply to
Neville Williams

The * shows up if the item that's ballooned is not in the config that is shown. OR,,,,,, if the item with the balloon is of the same part, but a different config in that subpart.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

I've seen this kind of thing if it is a multi- body part, too. Until recently, all my 'O' rings contained an extra spherical body to allow tangent mates with valve poppets etc. This was the only workaround my VAR and I could find in 2001plus to get the mates to work. Whenever I came to balloon up one of these multi-body 'O' rings I would get the trouble you guys are seeing. SW2005 doesnt seem to have the same mating restrictions, so I've suppressed the mating sphere in all my 'O' ring configs. Note that I've only suppressed and not deleted the feature - I fully expect mates to get messed up in the next release.......or the one after that ;)

Reply to
Daquifsta

Hello

How big is the assembly, perhaps you can send it to me and I can take a look at it.

Ian Falu QA Engineer Solidworks

Reply to
ianfalu

I still have it, it's quite small, but at work, I am back there on Tuesday, I will send it to you then. Thanks for taking the effort.

Reply to
pete