BOM questions

I am currently evaluating SW2006. Last year I purchased Alibre Pro and have enjoyed a lot of benefits switching to 3d-based parametric CAD. Perhaps I'm guilty of a "grass always greener" syndrome, but I've been tempted to look at SW mainly because Alibre is fairly weak in it's production of 2d design drawings with regards to speed (20-30 minutes for view creation on mildly complex assemblies) & aesthetic control (annotations and such are limited). At the end of the day, it's the drawing that still allows my shop to build machinery so the 2d production drawings are critical.

With my 30-day money-back guarantee slipping away rapidly, I'm trying to build some test assemblies in SW2006 to make sure the seven-fold increase in price is worthwhile. I've run into some sticky spots, some of which are surely my ignorance (though the lack of a proper manual is a tad frustrating at this price point!). In particular, I'm not sure I grasp the SW methodology behind the BOM.

In Alibre (pardon the comparison), a BOM is a separate file just like a part or assembly. The BOM is linked to an assembly and is automatically populated with the assemblies parts. In SW terminology, this is a "Parts Only" BOM there is no option for indented sub-assembly (though you can optionally specify a subassembly to be treated as a part). When working within a drawing, you can link the drawing file to a BOM. Then, any view, on any sheet will reference the same BOM file. In fact, you can have many drawing files (each with multiple sheets) all referencing the same BOM file. This can be convenient if a drawing file becomes unwieldy (which often happens around sheet 5), just start a new drawing file, link to the original BOM file and all item numbers are kept constant.

Using this approach, you can create views of parts or subassemblies and the item numbers ALWAYS match the BOM file. In SW2006, it appears that the BOM is attached to a specific view of an assembly. If I create a view of an assembly on sheet 1 and insert a BOM I can balloon the parts in the assembly to my heart's content. On sheet 2, I may want to create detail views of the individual parts of the assembly. If I then try to balloon those parts, the item numbers do not match the assembly (in fact they are all listed as "1").

I've done some googling, and searching on the SW forum, and it appears that many people find this behaviour to be problematic. Answers seem to range from:

  1. Manually override the balloons on the part views. Not an acceptable substitute as it leaves the drawings open for too many errors.
  2. Instead of creating views of parts, create views of the main assembly and hide the unwanted parts. Not acceptable substitute because this quickly brings the system performance down and seems to defeat the purpose of part, subassembly, assembly modeling.
  3. Use a custom property in each part file that is unique, and use notes that reference this property rather than the item number in the BOM. This seems the most likely candidate for success, and perhaps better than the Alibre method since accross the product line a part will have a consistent designator regardless of the assembly. The only downside is that using part designators is harder to look-up in the BOM. When a fabricator references the BOM to find the quantity of a particular part, searching the BOM for "DEB-1.5-6-STL" is harder to locate than "#6", which of course comes after "#5" and is thus easy to locat in a long list.

Whew! That was a bit long, my apologies. Please let me know if I'm missing the underlying philosophy of the BOM in SW, I really want to give Solidworks a fair shake and determine its cost/reward ratio when compared to my current software. My preliminary observation is that while I haven't been "blown away" by the capabilities, the 2d drawing package does show more polish than AD, which is what I had hoped.

Best regards, Gareth Conner

Reply to
garethconner

Ok, I'm a bit confused as I just tried a few things and it all worked properly.

I have not tested SW2006 much because of lack of time, but I just did a test. I dropped an assy into a drawing, inserted a SW BOM (not the Excel version,) ballooned it, added another view ballooned it, added another sheet, added a view, ballooned it, put a section view on the first sheet, ballooned it, cut that section view from that sheet and pasted it onto the second sheet, ballooned it, ......... and all the balloons matched. Whew!

So,,,, a bit of explanation here for you. The SW BOM is not tied to a view, as was the old Excel BOM - rather it's tied to a configuration. The BOM can be top level only, all parts, or an indented BOM, and with the indented, it can number the subparts like 6.1, 6.2, etc. If you have different configs in your drawing views, then sometimes you have to tell the drawing view to "Keep linked to BOM" and specify which one.

Your comment on the lack of a "proper" book is noted, however, the online help is really quite good, and I have found that I like it better than a paper book because of all the examples, video clips, and hyperlinks. Go to the help and look up Bill of Materials - I think you might find most of what you have missed. Then if you still have questions, come back here - we aim to please. :-)

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

You've got it pretty well figured with option #3. Myself, I've experimented with the manual route with macros to help reduce error. They still happen. Right now, I'm doing full manual, because I've switched to a single .slddrw per part methodology, in order to keep SW moving fast(er).

Currently, our shop's practice is to have item number, quantity req'd, etc. on the BOM and the individual detail sheets. SW has no way to deal with this. The most automated way is you option #3. SWit will help with tracking and assigning numbers and other properties to the part files

There are several other tools for this, that is just the first that comes to mind.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the response!

Everything seems to work fine as long as you are ballooning an assy. However, if I detail a part by creating a model view of a part (not the entire assy) the balloon item number does not match.

I often have a couple of sheets of a drawing that show the entire assembly (orthos, isos, exploded isos). Then typically I'll have several sheets that are just details of the individual parts, mostly for the machined parts or laser profiles. For the views of individual parts generated from Part files, not Assembly files, the BOM numbering doesn't remain consistent.

I think the basic problem is that there is not way to associate a single part view with the certain BOM associated with the assembly. In single part views I've started placing a balloon on the elevation to help the fabricator (or even myself) identify the part as it relates to the BOM. This doesn't seem possible in SW, but you can instead stick a note on the part that automatically displays the part name (or custom property) which may be fine for my needs.

I have seen the indented BOM, which is a great feature. The only drawback I see is that the part quantities are listed per subassembly. Therefore, if I have multiple subassemblies, the part count needs to be multiplied by the subassembly count in order to generate a PO. This is OK, but I'll need to exercise some caution so that I don't end up short parts!

The online help is adequate, but I'm just stubborn when it comes to books :) Ideally, I'd like to have both the online help and a reference book on my desk. I've purchased the Dave Murray "Inside Solidworks 2003" book which seems like a handy reference (though a couple of releases old, and thus it seems like it pre-dates the 'new' BOM?).

Thanks again, I think I'm slowly getting up to speed!

Reply to
garethconner

Thanks Dale,

Sounds like I need to adjust my drawing practices a bit, glad to know that option #3 still sounds like the most prudent.

Thanks for the SWit link, I'll have to invetigate that.

I appreciate your help!

-Gareth Conner

Reply to
garethconner
:

If the detail is taken from the assembly: RMB on the model view - Select Properties - Select "Keep linked to BOM"

If you insert a view of a part by loading the part separately: Connect the balloon to the part in the assembly and place the balloon next to the part. Remove the leader with the "no leader" option

and the balloons have to match now.

\/\/im

Reply to
\/\/im

Thanks, I'll try out your second option that may be a fine workaround.

I appreciate your help.

Best regards, Gareth Conner

Reply to
garethconner