Sheet Metal Woe's

Hello All,

I've been using SW for a long time now, but not until recently have I had to do any sheet metal pieces. So, I have a few questions (2 to be exact)

The model can be found at

The questions are:

  1. If you rollback to just after the Flatten-Bends1, why are the "cutouts" in the obtuse angles so deep?

  1. How would I go about making a half round section (instead of the flat portion) where the Rounded Section Sketch is now?

TIA, Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

These are controlled in Sheet-Metal1 under Auto Relief it is set to .5 set it lower until you get what you desire. Or turn it off. Or switch to tear.

First fillet the sketch to represent the bends into your arc. then cut the tab from the ends of your fillets. (this will create 2 bodies.) Then thin extrude your half round up to the end of the tab. Then rebuild your tree. This was all added before the first sheet-metal feature. You will probably have to edit your hole sketch to be correct again. since it was added in the flat state.

to do this add an unfold after Process-Bends1 select only the fold for Boss-Extrude-Thin1 then move Cut-Extrude1 after the unfold (you will have to make it cut thru both directions) then add a fold feature to put the flange back in place.

I will send you the model.

Corey Scheich

Reply to
Corey Scheich

???

like a rib? if so best way is to create a sheetmetal tool. look in help.

Reply to
kenneth b

I am sending the mod'd file back to you. There are simple ways of achieving what you want. They mostly involve planning the bend reliefs and tubular forms ahead of the sheet metal feature. We do complicated sheet metal parts all the time and we've gotten really good at knowing what Solidworks needs to see and how to get there in the least amount of steps. Check out the attachment I emailed you and do an unfold. I think it's exactly what you want. Bear in mind that I gave you your reliefs exactly how you had them, right down to the 8th place so if it wasn't what you were really after, just edit the sketches that created them.

Have fun...

- Eddy

Reply to
Eddy Hicks

Sorry I had forgotten that This was a 2001+ part. I don't remember what sheetmetal features were in 2001. You can do the same thing just remove the flange above the fillets added to the half round sketch and sketch a line that would represent the part of the flange that you had removed. If you can unfold you may want to do that to keep your hole spacing. I am pretty sure that was available in 2001+.

Corey

Corey Scheich