Hello all. Airbrush Question... (first time poster)

Hello, my name is Brian, and I am brand new to this newsgoup. I look forward to hearing your comments.

A bit of background info b4 I get to my question. Basically I want to start building models w/my son. I used to build then when I was younger and loved doing it. I now want to step up to an airbrush to paint the models. They will be mostly car and plane models. Glue together from a box type, (for now). I want to paint them using an airbrush. I have been looking at several different brands and types and am getting confused. Seems to me the two major ones are Badger and Paashe. My budget is about 120.00 for the airbrush kit. I have a compressor already. It is a huge one i use for my nailguns but I beleive it will work for this application. While looking thru the ads I see there is single action and double action. (1) I am not sure what the difference is. I don't want to go cheap just because I am starting out. I want something that will last and I can pass it on so to speak. Something that will give me no problems when properlly used and cared for. That is why I allowed 120 for the airbrush. I am hoping at the price I can get a good one. I want flexibility w/types of paints. I would like to experiment w/different types. See what type of paint yeilds what type of finish...In addition to your suggestions, I would like to know where to shop on the net. I am off to my local (well semi-local) hobby shop to get a hands on feel and pick up a few models w/my son, who is dying to get started.

Well I am done rambling. I thank you for taking time to read and reply w/and and all knowledge on the subject.

TIA Brian C.W. P.S. My email addy is incorrect in email so her it is here brianw1967(AT)hotmail(dot)com

Reply to
Brian

"Brian" to go cheap just because I am starting out. I want something that will

OK, common questions with many an answer but one of the thoughts goes like this:

Airbrush is a personal choice but I'll recommend a solid reliable brush that requires minimal maintenance....Paasche VL (get the set).

It's double action, you can control both the airflow using the button/trigger AND the paint flow by moving the trigger back and forth over it's range of movement. Double action usage takes some practice but you can set the VL to your desired paint flow using the adjuster wheel (probably a technical term applies) and just use the air trigger portion.

Starting out, use acrylics as they are easy to thin and clean up. Thin with manufacturers thinner or your choice of homebrew. I like a 50/50 mix of water and isopropanol. Thin to "the consistency of milk" or fractionally thinner. Better to have too thin than too thick in my opinion.

If you spray enamels or lacquers I'd highly recommend being overly cautious and use the proper mask/regulator for the paint type (not a dust mask or generic garden filter). If not for yourself, do it for your son. Better that you both live to enjoy the hobby. For acyrlics, good ventilation and common sense applies.

For your compressor, ensure your regulator can go down to 0-20ish psi with a good degree of accuracy. Rarely will you ever go above that pressure for your airbrush.

A VL set will meet your budget (presumably US). It's solid, easy to clean, non-tempermental, and unlikely to be ruined unless you get ham fisted with it (spares a plenty available). Yes, it may not be the ultimate in super fine detail painting but I doubt you'll need that if your starting out with your son. I personally do cars and some aircraft, fine lines aren't common and I get more than satisfactory results when I do need to do them.

Oh, find the FAQ that will probably answer lots of questions for you. Remember, you can strip most model paints without harming the plastic. No need to sand or anything to remove paint! Plenty of opportunity for practice and rework.

Reply to
The Raven

With $120 to spend you might even consider two airbrushes. I have a Badger

100 double action for fine work but my economical Paasche H single action does 90% of my work. Easy to clean and use, and rugged. Never used an Aztek; people seem to either love 'em or hate 'em.

Follow the links to "airbrush 101" for good general info.
Here are some links you should check out. Great discussion groups.

Curt

"Brian" to go cheap just because I am starting out. I want something that will

Reply to
C Knowles

"Ron" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.com...

Paasche H with a #3 tip. Nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I will qualify this statement. I learned on a Paasche H in high school drafting. When I saved my allowance I bought my own. I still use the SAME yes same 25 year old airbrush 98% of the time. I think the old H is practically bulletproof and all I ever did to mine was replace a needle (tip) and that was after I dropped it on the floor! These brushes are quality made and have a good heft to them. They are very user friendly and easily cleaned and tips/needles replacement doesnt require an engineering degree. I own several Badgers a Thayer and Chandler, and a Aztek. I used the Aztek once and hated it. it is buried in its box never to see daylight again unless I am in a major bind. The Badgers and Thayer (now made by Badger) are decent brushes but I just do not prefer their slim design. I like the big fat Paasche. I also own a Paasche VL when I was convinced to go to a double action. I used it once and took the needle out to clean it. I put it back together but screwed something up so when I pulled the trigger back the needle would not travel with it. I had to have an experienced friend in my model club strip it down and reassemble it for me (thanks Don). My kids wanted to build models so I bought them the cheap knockoff airbrushes from Central Pnuematic and sold by Harbor Freight. These are pure pieces of crap and I guess I bought a 5 dollar brush and got one! I went out later and bought my kids their own Paasche H's because I know they are good and will last them forever. Overall I think you would not be dissapointed. Look at it this way. If my High School used these in the classroom for a bunch of teenagers you know they are a durable tool.

Cheers, Max Bryant

Reply to
Max Bryant

Welcome aboard, Brian!

There are two mail-rder airbursh suppliers out there that have good reputations here: Dixie-art and Bear Air. They both have good websites, and their prices are very similar. Dixie_art offers free shipping on bigger orders, while Bear Air offers a 45 day no questions return policy and free tech support.

I recently bought an Iwata Eclipse series airbrush from Bear air, and I'm very happy with it. I use it with a C-H 2 gallon compressor, using Pollyscale and ModelMaster acrylics.

As a beginner to airbrushing, I started with dual action, and found it easy to get the hang of it.

Your selection of an airbrush will in part be affected by what you think you'll be building. The best brush for 1/72 scale luftwaffe mottled schemes may not be the best brush for large ships, for example.....

-Bill

Reply to
RC Boater

Scott,

Ahh, my mistake. My old brush is the Badger 200! It is the single-action model I was thinking of (and was previously calling a 100)...

Marv Mays mmays (AT) scalejets.net

Reply to
Marv