USE CAUTION WITH PAY PAL

Hello Fellow Modelers:

I am only mentioning this out of kindness to others who shop or sell on ebay, or the internet in general.

Recently more news announcements were made concearning Pay Pal and it's fraud.

People are getting their accounts frozen or closed for no reason, basically someone sells an item, gets paid through a credit card transaction, then the buyer files a fraud claim with the credit card company, Pay pal refunds the money out of the seller's account and closes the account regardless of who is at fault.

Below is a couple of links of some of the horror stories.

I got screwed by a dishonest ebay user and pay pal, pay pal refunded the guy's money, closed my account till I pay back pay pal the difference, why should I? the buyer still has the item.

If you are a seller on ebay use Bid Pay, C 2 it, Travelers express, Yahoo pay direct, or an online money order service.

Pay pal is not owned by ebay, Ebay only owns a percentage of Pay pal.

Pay pal is not a legitimate financial institution,

Pay Pal is not FDIC Insured

Pay Pal is not responsible for transactions under $10,000 under the new user agreement.

Reply to
George

C2it is closing down.

Reply to
famvburg

That's odd, George (sorry, didn't catch your last name). I've been using PayPal almost since it began. I've never had any problems such as you've identified (or any problem at all, for that matter).

Your accusations do have me interested, though. Can you provide some more details? How many people have had their accounts frozen? Have any of the sellers with the alleged frozen accounts had other complaints lodged against them? Are you responsible for or have an interest in either of the websites you've cited by any chance? You've made some accusations but only given cursory details. If you would fill us in on the specific details it might be helpful.

As for someone filing a lawsuit against PayPal; well, the world is full of people who want to file lawsuits. Some are legit and many, many others are frivolous; and, for everyone out there wanting to file a lawsuit, (frivolous or not) there are 3-4 lawyers crawling all over each other to take it.

"The world would be a much better place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

There must be something to everything he listed. I have 2 charge cards, one issued by Citibank, the other is Harris Bank & Trust (the 3rd largest bank in Chicago and a subsidiary of Bank of Montreal). Both banks have PayPal blocked, they will not deal with them. The reason I was given was that they have had too many charge challenges and complaints for overcharging or double charging. Personally, I tried to open a Pay Pal account, they took the initial test charge out 3 times and then would only refund 1 of them. Granted, its only a $1 but it was typical of the 3 weeks I was with them. They subsequently double deducted an amount I transferred to pay for an eBay auction I had won. It took 6 emails, 3 phone calls and finally another call from the Chicago Dept. of Consumer Affairs to get it refunded. PayPal is a shyster organization that I will not deal with, so I have to look for eBay auction that accept other payment forms.

RLM

Reply to
RLM

x.com>

With mine as well, Al. They deposited, they did not withdraw.

"The world would be a much better place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Hmmm, I've been wondering on and off for about a year if I should open a PayPal account as I know I've lost some bidders and some sales on lower priced items.

The main reason I haven't is I didn't like the idea of linking a bank account in order to received 'quick' payments from the US to Canada. I always thought it would be a good idea to get a separate credit card and a new bank account first for PayPal use.

Thanks for the additional the food for thought.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Hartlen

Again, I find that odd. The only thing I know for sure about PayPal are my own experiences with them.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I've been using them almost since they began doing business I've never had the slightest problem with them in any respect.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but, from personal experience, I could not label them a "shyster" outfit.........but, again, that's just me.

"The world would be a much better place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I just set up a seller's account last month. Two deposits into my checking account to verify.

WmB

WmB

Maybe this guy was lured into one of the fake Paypal sites?. Jose.

Reply to
Jose Altube

When I setup my account a couple of years ago they charged my VISA $1 to verify. I believe it was refunded later but I don't remember.

Kev>> >From: Al Superczynski snipped-for-privacy@deadspam.com

Reply to
Kevin Seniuk

PAYPAL is not the problem... users are. I have never had problems with PayPal. Make sure the user is Verified before you buy from them.

I have never had a problem...

Lance Mertz Ketchikan, Alaska Toujours Prete

Nospam in email address to respond.

Reply to
Lance Mertz

Hello Bill:

I am one of 20 people O know who has had their account frozen,

I sold an item on ebay to a man in NY, and after he got it, he left positive feedback and thats it.

then 2 weeks later he wanted a refund from me because he needed the money, I said no, but I will be glad to help him,

Pay pal sends me a email stating a chargeback was filed against me.

I fowarded all of the emails, links and feedback, I even made copies of it and faxed it to them.

pay pal steals the money from my account, then tells me in order for me to use pay pal again I must pay back the difference to them,

shit why in the hell should I, the asshole who won the auction has the item, I don't intend to give a $70.00 item away

I had to file a claim with ebay, the internet fraud agency, and the state of NY in order to close the case and recoup a little on my losses.

I didn't make any of those sites, if you would look at all of the links on those sites, you will see a lot of the info on the net that has been posted against pay pal

I was just trying to be kind and warn others of pay pal's bullshit service, and their new bullshit agreement they have with people who use their service.

read what information is on those sites and the links on those sites and educate yourself about pay pal's so called good service

Reply to
George

I must be none too bright on this one.

He wanted the item, he paid for it, and you shipped it to him, and it arrived in good order.

Now because he is broke, he can just go to pay pal, and get them to give him his money back, and screw you ??

Did he ever send the item back to you ?? If not isnt it postal fraud ?? (assuming USPS)

Thanx for the lession...........................

Azzz1588

Not quite right. Buyer would have his credit card company do a chargeback against Paypal. Paypal then recovers said chargeback via your Paypal account. Paypal are only doing exactly what they say they would do - its in the user agreement.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

So PayPal's user agreement boils down to the seller is "guilty until proven innocent", and maybe not even then?

RLM

Reply to
RLM

Bottom line: Accept only money orders and you will not get screwed.

WmB

WmB

Please note that it isnt Paypal who are screwing the seller - its the buyer and his CC company. Paypal are just doing what they said they'd do in their user agreement. If you dont like what the agreement says, dont sign up.

Note: I'm not defending Paypal. Just informing people what happens when a buyer does a chargeback.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Did the buyer ever send the kit back to you?

If not he is guilty of mail fraud and should be prosecuted.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72