Sorta on topic Ebay and a Acme gage

I just did a Buy it now on an acme fishtail gage. Paypal wants me to give them the expiration date on my credit card and I'm declining. Two days ago, no problem, they just debited checking like I intended. Today, I bought another item and declined again to update my credit card info (new card) and I get this message.

eBay Buyer Protection Your purchase is covered by eBay Buyer Protection. Learn more about Ebay buyer Protection - opens in a new window or tab Your payment for US $27.50 is being processed and is expected to clear by Jul-08-10. Remember, your item will be shipped after the seller receives payment. You will receive an email receipt shortly.

What kind of crap are they pulling now?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 15:32:58 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

ALL credit card processors need the expiration date to process a payment. (How else will they know if the card is any good? Duh.) Why are you suddenly declining to give _required_ info, Wes?

receive an

Was the gage purchase $27.50?

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

problem, they just

Re-read his post, it was not a credit card transaction, it was an ACH transaction.

Reply to
Pete C.

problem, they just

My primary account is checking. The card is a backup.

Wes

Wes

problem, they just

Read this:

Your eCheck payment is in progress Thanks for using PayPal. The estimated completion is 7/8/2010-7/12/2010. We advise sellers not to ship items until they receive payment. Make an instant bank payment and get your item(s) faster by logging in to your PayPal account and adding a credit card.

I *thought* the banks were supposed to decline charges that didn't have funds behind them due to recent changes in banking laws. IOW, they do the ACH and get the money, the deal is done. Damn I wish there was a decent alternative to ebay/paypal.

What I'm getting out of this is they are going to deliberately screw up my payments to get me to give them credit card info for a card that will never be used opening one more security hole in my financial profile to hacking.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:44:02 -0500, "Pete C." wrote the following:

problem, they just

Yeah, I guess it was, Pete. I had missed "checking.". ;)

It is likely that Wes will have to remove the CC completely so it doesn't prompt him for it every time.

Just coming from the PP site, I see that they're boasting of 221+ million users worldwide. That's BIG!

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

problem, they just

declined again to

advise sellers

behind them

payments to get

Use value limited one time use credit card numbers. Typically takes just a minute or two to generate such a number on your banks web site.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 17:14:58 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

problem, they just

advise sellers

I just told my bank that I never want them to do the old "cover the bounced nineteen cent check for ONLY $37 with a maximum of 3 such charges per DAY" thingy with me. I'll manage my account so I never rubberize a check, thanks.

payments to get

Maybe they're getting too many bounced transactions from checking accounts lately and they're covering their asses right now. Dunno.

You need to remove the backup or they'll continue to haunt you for the missing info. My bank has caught hacked info twice. Once the same day, the other the day after. Both times they have called me to ask if I made a purchase to so and so (Fifi's Boutique purchases ain't likely by me, TYVM), I've said "Absolutely not!" twice, and it has been fixed that same day twice. No worries, mate. Stats say that you're more likely to be hacked by the waitress (or busboy) at the local restaurant than online. (I think I read that in a newspaper, or maybe on the Internet, so it can't possibly be untrue.)

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got another message today:

Hello name deleted,

We removed a debit or credit card from your PayPal account because it is no longer valid.

It's easy to add a new card and avoid hassles the next time you want to send a payment: Log in to your PayPal account. Go to your Profile at the top of the page and click "Credit/Debit Cards." Click Add to link a new card to your account.

Thanks,

PayPal

The other trick they pulled is:

Hello name deleted,

You have successfully cancelled your subscription to Yearly subscription to Gun Rights Radio Network

You will not be billed for this subscription again.

What a bunch of thugs.

Wes

Wes

no longer valid.

end a payment:

Did you pay for the subscription with you now-expired (as far as they know) credit card? If so, where's the mystery? They can't automatically make an ACH transaction without your permission, which you have not yet given.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I have a debit card attached to my Paypal account. The debit card draws from the same checking account that Paypal uses as the primary. In other words, whether Paypal takes funds from my checking account or debit card, it all comes from the same place. I never keep more than I can afford to be without in that account. Each account that my wife and I maintain in that bank is titled differently to avoid potential problems with "right of offset" transfers between accounts if any account gets hacked.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The checking account is primary. Maybe I'm missing something.

Nope, I just looked again, my checking account is listed as primary confirmed. Cheapest way to do a transaction as far as I know. That is the way my mortgage company wants it's online payments.

I've never defaulted on a payment or asked for modifications in my life. Even after being out of work for 8 months. I gotta admit, that was getting down to the oh my God, what am I going to do point when I secured a crappy job followed by a better job. Amazing how once someone wants you, others do too. ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

longer valid.

There is an idea, I'm going to give them the debit card linked to the the checking account and see what happens next.

Wow, these idiots seem happy atm. Walmart and Meijer have figured out my debit card is a debit card and won't run it as a credit transaction that costs them more and Chase gives me a small bribe for doing so.

Time will tell on this on.

On a metalworking topic, my Phase II BXA post will show up tomorrow.

I spent the last half of my day with a gent from Etamic trying to solve an issue with our automated airgage system that feeds wear data to two ZT2500Y's (Mori's) that are serviced by a Fanuc robot on a rail. Inside this beast resides a galil 1720 motion control. I made some xy devices a long time ago using galil 720 controls to run crossed Thompson slides with ball screws to lay down hot melt adhesive to edge fold rear package trays back around 199x. I think it was that period, I was communicating with Jacob Tal using a compuserve account and modem then. I found an issue with a interrupt input instruction. A few roms and trials and that was eventually corrected.

The instruction set has increased but it was nice watching their tech troubleshoot and actually be able to understand parts of the program. What sucked is today was the hottest day in years in the plant. I haven't pee'd yet and I've been home for a few hours.

Thankfully, tomorrow is the last day of the week for me, stay in town for a gun club board meeting and have a three day weekend.

Wes

Wes

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 20:23:50 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

They saved you the effort. OK.

WTF? How can they do that? It's a free subscription and Apple iTunes isn't owned by eBay, is it? Unless you used that CC to secure your subscription and it caught up to you when it expired.

Are you sure something else isn't happening, Wes, like your identity being hacked? If I were you, I'd look into that deeply and immediately.

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

trays back

instruction. A

Galil is a class act. I've had a number of phone conversations with Dr. Tal when calling for tech support or application advice. The two other support techs I remember from the early 90s are both still with Galil.

That's one of the nicest things about Galil's controllers -- the stuff you learned 20 years ago still works -- TP means Tell Position after all these years.

It was comfortable here today, but yesterday was the hottest I've seen it here on the ME coast. It was only 94, but I can't remember the last time it was over 90. I was glad I was not at my customer's plant though. The project I'm working on gets installed soon on a hot rolling mill. The ingots come out of the furnaces at 2600F.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I know it is free but I had a reoccuring donation set up to support the network.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 04:57:09 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

So they're not really thugs after all, are they?

-- It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is exactly what we need to be fully human, fully awake, fully alive. -- Pema Chodron

Reply to
Larry Jaques

It is looking that way, I'm going to search my email over the weekend in case I blew off a paypal message maybe asking for an okay to send a renewal.

Sep 8, 2009 is when I started the yearly subscription. Today is 30 days from renewal. Right now I'm going for thuggish. I see my payment for the acme gage cleared today after I have them my debit card number that is linked to my checking account that they are supposed to use in the first place.

I'll just send Mark Vandenburg, that runs the gun rights radio network, a check next month and give paypal the tall finger.

To give some metalworking content to this, Mark is a CNC operator, maybe a machinist, running automated machines working for a firm that makes automotive parts. Now to toss out some red meat, he was mentioning on the podcast I listened to today, on the way to the club for a meeting, Indiana has a law that prohibits companies from stopping CCW holders from having a firearm in a POV parked in the lot. Firearm must be out of sight and secured while parked on company premises. Something common sense in my humble opinion.

I'd like to see that law make it to Michigan. Actually, I wish we didn't need such a law (libertarian streak)

Wes

Wes

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 22:58:27 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

blew off a

Having a backup payment method makes them more at ease. I can't criticize that.

next month

There ya go.

way to the

Agreed!