r.m.r Warning: New Ebay/Pay Pal Scam

Hello r.m.r board; I received an e-mail today from what appeared to be an anouncement by Ebay that they were taking over Pay Pal. It looks extremely professional... but I had my doubts. I clicked on the link to go to the "new" Pay Pal site, and they immediately ask for your Ebay, Pay Pal and CC account #s.... SCAM!!!! If any of you receive something similar, do not send any account information to ANYONE. I already reported them to Ebay's fraud department. I will try and copy/post the e-mail and link(s) I received, below. Jeff

Subj: eBay's acquisition of PayPal is complete Date: 09/17/2003 1:19:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time From: snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com To: xxxxxxxxx (I put the x's in to keep the Spammers and Scammers away....) Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear PayPal Member,

We are pleased to announce that eBay's acquisition of PayPal is complete. PayPal's shareholders approved the transaction on October 3, 2002, and PayPal and eBay are now working together on a common goal: to help our buyers and sellers trade online.

Easier Payments on eBay

As you can see, not much has changed on PayPal's website, but some exciting changes are coming to eBay's. We know that many of you want to see PayPal integrated into eBay, so that is one of the first things we are working to accomplish.

Within the next few weeks, we plan to begin integrating PayPal into eBay's website so it will be easier for buyers and sellers to use PayPal. I n the first phase of integration, you will see PayPal featured on eBay's Sell Your Item and View Item pages. Further integration will happen over the coming months; we'll be sure to keep you updated.

You are requested to visit our site by following the link given below.

Non-Auction Services

PayPal will continue to offer its non-auction services, including its PayPal Website Payments tools and popular ATM/Debit Card. PayPal will also be introducing some exciting new features in the weeks ahead, such as the ability to transact in Euros and Pounds Sterling. Look for this new option to come online before the end of October.

Thanks to our Members

Thank you for your support of PayPal. We hope you share our excitement about bringing PayPal and eBay together. We look forward to making your online transactions faster, easier, and more secure.

Sincerely,

Meg Whitman, CEO, eBay

Reply to
JJRNJ

Paypal has been bought by eBay. As has Half.com.

Usually emails from any of these (or about anyone) that directs you to give account #, CC #, pin, password, etc to a supplied link is a scam.

Reply to
Charles Seyferlich

You've never seen these before? They're rampant.

*All* unsolicited (i.e., not a response to some communication from you) emails from eBay and/or PayPal are scams.

BTW, eBay has owned PayPal for a couple of years now....

--Dan

Reply to
Dan O'Connor

Dan, I've seen plenty of them, this is a new one, and the first scam I've seen linking Ebay and Pay Pal... just warning people, that's all. Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

"JJRNJ" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m18.aol.com...

Hi I am from Germany and a Ebay-User for six days yesterday just came this mail summary 3x Is this from Ebay ???? I send the Info to Ebay-USA and Ebay-Germany - No Answer

Greetings from Germany Juergen

----------------- Dear eBay User,

During our regular udpate and verification of the accounts, we couldn't verify your current information. Either your information has changed or it is incomplete.

As a result, your access to bid or buy on Ebay has been restricted. To start using your eBay account fully, please update and verify your information by clicking below :

Regards,

eBay

**Please Do Not Reply To This E-Mail As You Will Not Receive A Responce**

Let me Wld Hello let's keep the ball rolling! He's about that's a go iaEoChT bAREHPoJuEH ZW

I'm sorry in 1898 in 1800 482 Texas Saturday 4 in 1986 122 You are through 3 million in race case

Reply to
Jürgen Pollak

Juergen, It's a scam, do not give anyone your account, credit card or banking information, period. Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

Hi Juergen,

I get a few of these every day now - all are hoaxes.

I don't think there is any way that Ebay or Paypal would have sent these, with such bad spelling of some words! ('udpate' and 'Responce').

David.

Reply to
David F.

What link is that?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

THAT IS INCORRECT.

Ebay & PayPal will send e-mail whenever there are changes to the user agreement or privacy policy *unless* you specifically request them not to:

Mark Mathu

Here ya go Mark:

**You are requested to visit our site by following the link given below.

**

Sorry, for some reason, it won't let me put a hyperlink in, just the URL. Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

Reply to
Dale Kramer

Got it! I thought that was the link that you were referring to.

When I go to that site, it does NOT immediately ask for my eBay, PayPal and credit card account numbers. (I am a PayPal user.)

Is it *really* immediately asking for eBay, Pay Pal and credit card account numbers?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

But it's true - PayPal stockholders did approve eBay's acquisition of PayPal on October 3, 2002.

Mark Mathu

No, less than a year.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

The original email probably had the about text for the link, but the actual hidden code for the link was a different web URL that asked for all the info.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Jeff, you should be able to right-click on the link in the message and "copy shortcut" (without actually opening the link, if you are concerned about that), and then paste the actual URL of the link to a reply to this message.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Hey Mark, When I received the e-mail, earlier today, I clicked on the link, and it brought me directly to a site that asked for all of your Ebay, Pay Pal, Bank, and CC info. I left them info....... bet defintely not what they were asking for.... heh heh heh... hope they like four letter words...... Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

Mark, I know how to cut and paste, and all, I think it has more to do with AOL, then anything else, when I cut and paste the link, it just pastes the URL, not as a hyperlink. I own a computer store, so I know a little bit about computers.... Jeff

Reply to
JJRNJ

At first glance it is not easy to tell which e-mails are legitimate UNLESS they ask you for any information (User ID, password, credit card info, etc) in the body of the e-mail. In those cases they are ALWAYS scams. No company will ask you to fill this information in on a form that has been e-mailed to you.

It's very simple never supply that information in a form that had been e-mailed to you. Regarding those fake eBay e-mails, just forward them to snipped-for-privacy@ebay.com.

CBix

Reply to
Charles Bix

Yeah, I did the same! Nobody would be stupid enough to fill in all the details they want to know, without 'smelling a rat'!!

David.

Reply to
David F.