Re; staightening die cast

I bought a hornby double o "Barnstable" off ebay but the font buffer beam has been bent down and fouls on the front wheels This damaged occured in the post Is there any way to straighten this succesfully with out snapping of the whole font? thanks

Reply to
fred

If you try to bend it back cold it will almost certainly snap off! (experience )-:

I would guess that you could use one of those little butane torches to get heat into the bent area to bend it back. As it's going to be very hot you will need to make a wooden jig to clamp around the distorted parts so you can apply pressure where it's required - probably just some wooden strips (glued) in "molegrip" plyers. (all guesswork)

Reply to
Gregory Procter

"fred" wrote

Not too much chance of a successful repair I'm afraid, but unless the seller pointed this out in his description I'd be very much looking to return it to the seller for a refund.

John.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But the damage occured in the post. Why should the seller be held responsible (unless his packaging was obviously defective)?

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

"MBQ" wrote

Because the seller is probably responsible at law for the safe delivery of the goods. If the pruchaser used a credit card to buy, then the card company will definitely side with the purchaser.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The seller has a contract with the Post Office for safe delivery of the goods. Various contracts are available depending on what you pay and what proof you obtain. A certificate of posting (always a good idea) gets you free insurance up to £28. If the item is more valuable then the buyer/seller should agree whether or not to purchase extra insurance at the buyers expense.

Unless you are buying from a trader who accepts credit card payments directly, credit card purchases on Ebay work differently since the credit card transaction is with a third party (usually PayPal). If the seller doesn't deliver, then you have to use Ebay's dispute resolution. The credit card company is not going to be interested since there is no dispute between the purchaser and PayPal.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

"MBQ" wrote

The seller's contract is with the purchaser under English law. He may subscontract that to the Post Office, but is still responsible if the Post Office do not accept responsibility.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Tis true, btdt....remember my missing loco saga? Seems a number of model railway suppliers send fully numbered (as in credit card number) receipts through the post as an order for some spares arrived last week with the full number, just like the one I had a problem with....Better traders either have modern partial number print receipts or a big black perm marker pan!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Niel wrote:-

According to the Financial Mail [29th February, Page 2] it's not currently even a criminal offence to use a stolen credit card to obtain goods via the internet but I don't advise using that as a defence in court:- "According to the Financial Mail your Honour, I haven't committed any offence".

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Badger" wrote

Interesting comment Niel. I use a credit card processing machine supplied by HSBC, and guess what, it prints the complete card number on sales receipts. I've asked HSBC to reprogramme this, but they have so far refused.

So tell me what do I? Not send out receipts, or attempt to obliterate the number? The latter is extremely time consuming, and if I fail to obliterate it successfully I could be held responsible.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

HSBC, that explains a lot..... Time consuming without doubt, but if it goes missing in transit which is worse, difficult one that, I'd prefer retailers to cut-out the middle bit, perhaps a hole punch might be a better bet????

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

"Badger" wrote

Spoke with the Bank (or actually I suspect their Indian call centre) again today and they've now agreed to provide a new swipe machine which does not print the whole number, so a result!!!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Well done John, all other retailers watching take note!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger