Triang Honby Coaches

Hi all Just had a look at my old Triang Hornby coaches and noticed they are not so different from the Hornby coaches. Anyone have good ideas how to upgrade them (wheels of course, from where?) and other ideas? Ta Rob

Reply to
Rob

Hornby sells disc, 3-hole and spoked wheels on metal axles in sets of 10 (why 10 I don't know!). So does Bachmann, but theirs have plastic axle centres and are more prone to break or be out of gauge. If you want to spend more, there's Romford, etc....

Reply to
MartinS

=>Hornby sells disc, 3-hole and spoked wheels on metal axles in sets of 10 =>(why 10 I don't know!).

They count on their fingers? :-)

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Two 3 axle and one 4 axle coaches worth?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Surely in these days when we have migrated from imperial to metric measures, ten is the new dozen :-)

Aren't Bachmann coach wheels 14mm diameter, and Hornby's 12mm?

Reply to
John Sullivan

Bachmann have stopped using the plastic centre wheels and all new wheels have a solid metal axle.

The latest Mk1s from Hornby are fitted with 3-hole wagon wheels, not coach wheels, to overcome the excess buffer height.

Mike Parkes snipped-for-privacy@mphgate.removetoreply demon.co.uk

Reply to
Mike Parkes

But 8 or 12 would make more sense!

The new, metal Bachmann and Hornby ones I have are all 13mm. The old plastic Hornby ones were 12mm.

Reply to
MartinS

The replacement ones I bought a year or so ago had metal wheels and stub axles, with a plastic centre section for insulation. With some I had to push in the axles to the plastic part, and I managed to break one set. Hornby uses an all-metal axle; both wheels are insulated with a plastic bushing. I've had no problems with misalignment or out-of-gauge.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Why tens? Because we use the metric system where ten is the basis.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Sullivan" wrote

Yes, it's quite useful actually. If you put 14mm coach wheels (I've used Romfords) into Hornby Gresley coaches it makes the buffer height the same as the Bachmann Thompsons.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Exactly. As I said yesterday, ten is the new dozen.

Reply to
John Sullivan

You don't still buy eggs or bread rolls in dozens? You still use pints for bottled milk and draught beer!

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" <

And hotdogs come in packages of ten while the hotdog buns come in packages of 12. Or is it the other way round?

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

In Canada, yes. Larger hotdogs may come in 8s or 6s. Buns may also come in 8s.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Eggs are sold in tens, bread rolls generally in singles. Milk is sold in litres, but beer is still generally in pints.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

Round here, in the torrid south, eggs are sold in sixes.

Reply to
John Sullivan

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

ASDA still sells eggs in dozens (and half-dozens). Bread rolls, muffins, crumpets, etc are also in dozens. Milk in pints - doorstep delivery is also in pints.

Beer is a vexed question. Officially it's sold in pints, but that includes the head, with no legal definition (AFAIK) of the size of the head.

Reply to
David Jackson

I don't know if they're official, but I believe CAMRA has issued suggested guidelines. I know Granada TV got rapped on the knuckles for showing short-measure pints being served in the Rovers Return. I guess it's a consequence of the return of "Real Ale", which is not automatically dispensed into oversized glasses.

Reply to
MartinS

And the Post Office has changed from selling books of 10 first class stamps to books of 12. (more difficult to calculate the cost of postage!)

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

Reply to