Make of Pullman Coach

I have has one of the blue Pullman "Golden Arrow" coaches sitting around in a cupboard for years and now I think Ebay might be a better place for it. Now it does not seem to have any makers brands or marks in a visible spot. Could anyone help me with what brand it is, it has the running number s

3095 and would appear to have the same dimensions as the mid 1970's Hornby pullmans.

Thanks Jim

Reply to
James Gardiner

Sounds like a Hornby R230 to me - the running number should be 'S309S'

Reply to
Rich Mackin

"James Gardiner" wrote

I think only Hornby and Wrenn did the Golden Arrow Pullmans. I'd have thought that the Hornby version would carry their name on the underside of the chassis, so you may possibly have one of the Wrenn examples. Not 100% sure but I think the Wrenn model has die-cast bogies, whilst those from Hornby should be plastic.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Tri-ang did a three unit Pullman train with two power cars and a center coach. Extra coaches to extend the train were available. Kitmaster did the same train in plastic kit form. Triang did their brown/creme SR Pullman coach in blue with CIWL markings for a short time. (recognisable by the interior compartments not lining up with the windows)

I'd imagine the Kitmaster model would have the name plastered on the underframe somewhere, but then I'd expect "Tri-ang Made in England" to be on Tri-ang models.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

That was the Midland Pullman and not the Golden Arrow which the OP was asking about. The Golden Arrow Pullmans were just the standard Hornby 'Lucille' Pullman car painted in later blue/white lovery.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Looks like its a Hornby. Thanks to those that replied.

Cheers Jim

Reply to
James Gardiner

I have seen (somewhere, can't remember where) that although the old Tri-ang Blue Pullman was marketed as the "Midland Pullman" there were some differences between the LMR and the WR sets. If I recall correctly and amongst other things, the LMR sets were first class only while the WR coaches included second class accommodation. What Tri-ang had actually reproduced were (quite good) replicas of the WR power cars and intermediate coaches. Anyone wanting a very accurate "Midland Pullman" would have had to build the Kitmaster kits, and motorise the same.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan