Hornby Live Steam

Hello all Thinking about getting into this and building a separate layout to accommodate. Besides the current 2 offerings, anyone have an idea of what may be available in the future? Thanks as always Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

From what I can gather from local traders very little, or at least once the costs of the damp squid have been recovered! No one seems to be selling hardly anything now the hype has gone. I cant see the range going much further, a spam can possibly, Whinston Churchill? What ever its going to be all large tender engines so not much chance of building a layout with much variety.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

We actually sold one of the new live steam 'Flying Scotsman' sets last weekend - the first of either this or the 'Mallard' set in absolutely ages. I can't quite make my mind up whether to re-order a 'Scotsman' set or not. They're a lot of money to have tied up on the shelves on the off chance that someone might want to buy them.

I'd hang back Rob, I'm convinced that Simon's correct about the potential for further sales, and I wouldn't be surprised to see these sets being 'jobbed out' in the not-to-distant-future.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It is such a shame that they designed the 'Live Steam' for the 'executive toy' market rather than for the wider model railway market. If they had used DCC for control and provision of power instead of their proprietory 'Heath Robinson' set up necessitating a separate track, it would have integrated into model railways using DCC. The live steam model would just have added interest to the normal layout and they would have sold a lot more.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

AND I spose if i decide to have 2 locos running at once, it means 2 controllers right? Will they also need there own power supply? Thanks for your replies.... I noticed in my local hobbytown here in Atlanta the Mallard set was down to $620 (GBP 360) so its worth a shot maybe?? Cheers Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

Guess so, but as one of the controllers come with each set, it's maybe not a real hardship.

I very much doubt whether there wold be enough output from one controller to power two locos, but even if there was then individual control would not be possible, and that might be desirable with live steam.

John.

Reply to
John Turner