Hornby Live Steam running

Well I did it. Got me the mallard set. Anyone have any experience? I followed all the instructions but it just sits there and then takes off at 100 miles an hour!!!! Also, not being an LNER man, suggestions for coaches, Imp aware of the expensive teak stock but what else would be correct Thanks as always Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

"Rob Kemp" wrote

How about a set of 'teaks' out of the 'Flying Scotsman' trainset? These are nowhere near the quality of the recently released, updated models, and you should be able to pick a set of four up for less than £60.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

A rake of Annie and Clarabel coaches with the faces removed wouldn't be too far wrong! =8^D

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You got em John? Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

I wasn't being (overly) funny with my suggestion of Annie and Claribelle as a suitable train for the A4. At the time of introduction, the LNER still had large numbers of 4 wheel compartment coaches and if the only loco spare was an A4 it would go on.

I guess there aren't many photos of such trains, but then photographers of the time liked to illustrate "progress" so a photo of the Flying Scotsman was the only way to photograph the latest loco. The speed problems might need working on before you couple on the 4 wheelers though!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No doubt, I looked on Hornbys web site and apparently if you don't build up a good head of steam first, the valves may cause problems. Guess I need the rolling road to practice on before I bend it! Thanks mate Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

When you bend it, I'm prepared to buy it cheap for conversion to an NZR Ab Class! =8^D

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg Procter

There's a section on driving the Hornby Live Steam engine on Model Rail Video/DVD 17. from what I remember it involved flicking the "regulator" 5 -6 times and then backing off (mind you it still took off a bit rapid, the driver didn't seem to have much in the way of control)

Regards Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

"Rob Kemp" wrote

I can probably find you some.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "Keith Lanham" contains these words:

Watch any steam loco cab-ride video. That's exactly how the driver handles the real thing.

Reply to
David Jackson

Yes but the difference is THEY have control and can run at low speed, if the video is anything to go by, the Hornby one is incapable of low speed running (of course it could be an inexperienced or bad driver)

Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Thanks Do you know how I can get a back copy here in USA Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

the Hornby one is incapable of low speed running

I really hope it is inexperience on my part... That was a little expensive to be a bad runner. Has anyone else on this list got one and can add some practical experience tips for me? Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Bob

Reply to
Bob Heath

Rob, I have one and I'd recommend that you get the rolling road to practice throttle control as the loco does have a tendency to become airborne if cornering at high speed. The loco does become more manageable after a bit of running in and less frantic travel is possible.

The main thing is to notch the throttle back as soon as you get it going.

The number of 'back' commands you need to give to slow it down reduces with a bit of running.

(I'm not sure I would ever fancy it on an end to end layout though!)

Your next problem is the loco shaking itself to bits!

Doug.

Reply to
Doug

Thanks Doug, that is helpfull Rob

Reply to
Rob Kemp

A friend was eager to see mine in operation even though at present there is no place to set it up easily. The demo track was all the straight trackage laid on a table. looking around for a convenient item to act as a buffer stop the large block of cheddar amongst his shopping was brought into play. Apparently his wife enquiring later why the cheese had a strange oily dent in it was less than impressed by the answer that it had been hit by a steam loco.

Reply to
g.harman

In message , Rob Kemp writes

My tip is to give it a heavy load as possible.Mine happily pulls 10 coaches but will not overspeed with this number. Hope this helps, Alan

Reply to
Alan Smith