Another eBay Butt Pain

Hi,

I have been a member of eBay for about three years, bidding on the occasional MRR item.

A few weeks ago, loading eBay pages became painfully slow. It now takes about

30 or 40 seconds for a page to load. An eBay page loading would make a snail seem like a 100-yard sprinter.This renders eBay useless to me for all practical purposes.

I contacted eBay, and they e-mailed me back, stating that they suspect the culprit is spyware. They offered some suggestions that I followed, but did not offer any real solution to the problem.

I have a firewall. I also ran a spyware detection/protection program. I ran the program several times, and it always came back with "No spyware detected".

I am stumped. Is it spyware? If it is, why does it only affect eBay? How did it get there? What can be done about it?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would me most grateful. As I said, eBay did not offer a solution.

TIA Ron

Reply to
Gallillee

Get two or mroe spyware detection programs, and run them both. What one misses the other will detect. Also update your anti-virus software, as trojans can cause the symptoms you mention. It doesn't hurt to have an second AV program, too, although you should have only one running at any one time. For spyware detection, I use:

Spybot (free to indivdual home users) Pest Patrol (payware) Ad Aware (shareware)

What firewall do you use? I use Zone Alarm Pro, which costs a few bucks, but is worth it IMO. It detects programs trying to access the 'net. So install it, shut down, reboot. If you have an undetceted 'bot, Zomne Alarm will most likely detect its attempts to go online. Then you can root it out.

HTH&GL

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Did it happen as eBay introduced the new "My ebay" look and feel ? I personally have mixed feelings about it... I think it does take longer to display it (as it has more stuff...)_. But I haven't noticed too much slowdown when viewing auctions themselves.

See if you can try using different browser than you are using now.

They probably already told you to clean out all your caches (and maybe cookies).

In Netscape it is easy to do. On IE it is a pain, but worth trying! And if you use AOL - then who knows what it can be... ;-)

HTH, Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

It is 3 or 4 easy clicks to do with AOL, very similar to Netscape I think to do.

Reply to
oztrainman

I use Internet Explorer and it's only 3 or 4 easy clicks also.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

What make / speed of processor do you use?

What version of browser?

What type of network hookup? (modem speed / cable / dsl speed?)

What operating system version?

All of these COULD have a bearing on the issue as well.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Forestieri

Thanks to Wolf K., Peter W., Oztrainman, J. Bright, and Greg F. for responding.

Ron

Reply to
Gallillee

You're welcome ! Just let us know if and how you resolve the problem.

We are all dying to find out ! ;-) Seriously, that will bring a clousure to this issue.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.