Big Hack on Ebay

I was just on ebay.........As usual, I clicked on toys and then took the model kits tab. When I started to scroll down, there was a couple of pictures of girls in bathing suits there. I laughed to myself and thought I was looking at a different kind of "model" I clicked on one of the pictures and it was asking me to "log in" to ebay again. I noticed that it was trying to redirect me off ebay. This is an attempt to steal your log in info. I got to ebay's live help and reported it. It is a giant hack / scam of ebay. Please beware

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike G.

"Mike G." wrote in news:-pydnb0FncAUMrPYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@amaonline.com:

They probably weren't built to scale anyway. :)

cd

Reply to
Carl Dershem

But , were they Built ?

noddy

Reply to
noddy

There are so many crooks out there trying to get our personal information that you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a couple of them. A couple weeks ago I was on a business trip to a military convention in Las Vegas. The first night there, my wife wanted to check her e-mail so I signed up for the hotel's wireless service. when she was done, I logged onto eBay to check a couple items I was watching. The next afternoon, I signed onto my AOL account and fount over 200 e-mails waiting for me. Since I usually get

10-15 e-mails per day, this caught my attention immediately and I opened a couple of them. they were all e-mails from eBay confirming newly-posted items for sale by me. since I hadn't listed 200 items, and, in fact had listed nothing for sale in almost a year, I opened eBay and tried to sign in. I found the password I'd been using for almost a year would not work and I could not sign in - kept telling me the password was incorrect.

The only way I could contact eBay was to e-mail them at their spoof address so I notified them that someone had hijacked my account and listed some 200 items for sale. eBay sent back a polite canned e-mail indicating that, since the e-mail did not deal with an attempted spoof or pfishing attempt, they could not act on it and suggested I sign in and go to the eBay My Account section to change my password. I sent them another e-mail reiterating that, since my account was hijacked, I can no longer access my account in any way. they sent me another e-mail, again telling me to sign in and go to my account. Luckily, I remembered that a friend had found a number to call eBay directly and I called him and got it. After reaching the eBay voice mail (couldn't reach a human), I left a message indicating the problem and, apparently they got because that evening, all the auctions were cancelled and that the bids the phony me placed on five other auctions were also cancelled.

It took me until I got back home to finally reach a living person at eBay. Once I did, that person was quite courteous and quickly walked me through the steps to restore the account. However, it highlights the difficulty in reaching a live person at eBay and their propensity for answering e-mail inquiries with canned responses that may or may not address the subject of your inquiry.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Sounds like that hotel has a bad guy monitoring their wireless system farming info from users.

Reply to
RobG

It works the other way around too. I had an e-mail asking me to confirm the placing of an item for sale of which I had no knowledge. The return addrees was of course a spoof intended to extract my username and password. As a rule I ignore all such communications including in one case it turned out, a genuine message from eBay.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Luckily, I remembered that a friend had found a

Can you please let us all know what the phone number is??

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I've had some of those as well. I've also has some pretending to be the buyer of an item I didn't list. There's always a convenient "dispute transaction" button somewhere near the bottom of the e-mail.......the urls lead to a pfishing expedition of your personal info and all are bogus. I never act on any of those and delete them out of hand.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

I'll have to ask him for it again. When he gave it to me, I was in Las Vegas. I was so concerned about sorting the mess out that I didn't save it after I got through to eBay. He reads RMS as well, perhaps in the meantime he will see this and post it himself.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Why should he give it to everyone? Then the next time he calls, he may be put on hold because everyone else is calling him? :-)

Reply to
Willshak

Over a day later, and the bogus auctions are STILL THERE. Just saw one in the model railroad category. More of Ebay's first class focus on the security of its users. Right on top, just like the one you saw. How hard is that to find? Have to admire their benefits of their business model - they don't care, they don't have to. Anybody remember Lily Tomlin's Bell Telephone operator? She works for Ebay now, apparently.

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz

"We are _omnipotent_"