Slightly OT: Excessive Shipping Charges with eBay Shipping Calculator

I occasionally sell kits on eBay. The last few days, prospective customers have reported that eBay's shipping cost calculator is returning wildly inaccurate estimates of shipping charges. Example: a

1/48 scale Bf 109G would cost $27 to ship. In reality shipping this kit should cost about $3.85 via Priority Mail (assuming no additional cost for insurance, handling, etc.)

I tried it myself and also came up with unreal shipping cost estimates.

eBay's response -- once I was able to actually communicate with them -- was essentially (not a quote) "Well, we never said it was supposed to be accurate." My response was that they should not provide a tool that is so grossly wrong but eBay disagrees. If I don't like it, I don't have to use it. Fair enough. I won't.

Has anyone else had this experience (I mean besides getting "attitude" from eBay).

Ed

Reply to
robbelothe