eBay shipping

There was a discussion taking place on this subject in the scale modelling forum and I just *HAD* to share this condescending response with you all. This is one persons justification for having a handling fee. If the fee is too high when coupled with the price of the item, I don't bid, but it's not what he says so much as how he says it, like he's doing us a favor or something and we should feel sorry for him - and the 'happy' statement floored me. Talk about condescending... John

------------------------------------------ yada yada yada........

I also sell on Ebay. I am a full time professional who does NOT have ready access to UPS, the USPS, or to free boxes excepting the post office. My time truly is at a premium! I am actually sacrificing time away from my job, kids, wife, etc. to mail this package to another person. I am also incruing costs from packaging materials including bubble wrap, shredded paper, styrofoam pellets, and most importan- tly the packaging tape.

Granted, I never charge more than $2 per package myself for handling fees. I honestly feel that anything below $2 is justifiable because of the time that I'm removing from my life to do this. I get paid apx. $20 per hour to do my job. I feel that you're getting a bargain when I use my materials to securely pack a model in a box so that it won't be damaged, wrap it, and then deliver it to a usps station as well as wait in line for the idiot who doesn't know what flavor of stamps to buy.

I've basically wasted about $20 doing this job and am only going to get $2 in return over the price paid for the model. You should be hap- py inthis particular case. what goes on for other sellers I can't say. Many of them choose to have 'flat' fees so that no one pays too ungodly much for something, while others have it set in other ways. They are their own conscience. I do not presume to tell the manager at the local corner mart what prioces to set, I simply choose not to buy from him if the price is too high. Eventually sellers who's shipping rates are too high will get the clue.

yada yada yada.............

Reply to
John DeBoo

I think you must have meant to post this somewhere else...

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Didn't sound condescending to me.

Sounded downright reasonable.

Hey, John - if you ever see one of my eBay auctions, don't bid. I'll be more than happy to cancel it.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

Actually, even though I don't charge a handling fee, I feel pretty much the same. I have even reboxed items to lower the shipping and finally said to hell with it.

Curt

Reply to
Curt

Well there are some good stories out there. My brother recently had to pack up and send to Alaska two very heavy mono amplifiers. Wound up costing $175 per amp to pack and ship.

And the buyer was soooo happy with the pacadging job, he sent some extra $$ later !!!

I also started a list starting from right here of email addy's of complainers, and those bitching about price and shipping, and have forwarded it off to my eBay friends as people whom NOT to do business with. ie; to watch out for these people if they bid on any of my friends auctions.

Sorry to say, some of the worst skinflints I have ever seen have been model builders............ (ya know, the one's who paw all over a kit at the hobby store, then run home to get it off the internet)

AM

Reply to
AM

I certainly did - Netscape bit me on this one. Sorry... John D.

Reply to
John DeBoo

"AM" wrote

And airplane builders the worst of the lot.

Actual event witnessed with my own eyes, 3 Rivers PA show, around 2000:

A guy is selling a bunch (several hundred) of A/C decals from a closed hobby shop and is listing them - clearly - at $2/sheet when SMO is listing the same sheets at $5 or $6. "Modeler" comes by and sees the selection and spends about 10 minutes pawing through the trays picking out about a dozen sets. He then goes to the seller and says "Can you go $1.50 a sheet?" When the seller says "No, I can't go below $2", the "modeler" literally huffs like a rich society matron in a Beverly Hillbillies episode, throws the sheets down on the table, and storms off.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Really? Let's see it. Could make for a very interesting libel suit at your expense. As Aretha Franklin sang in The Blues Brothers: "You better think!"

-- C.R. Krieger But I'm not complaining ...

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

OTOH, I'm not worried. I don't use this address on ebay. =8^O

-- C.R.

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

No

I wish anyone who wants to pursue this luck, they will need it. I have all the right in the world to share this information (ie; my opinion's) with my friends.

You, I dont to add you to this list, killfiling you is far easier :)

Could have fooled me...................

AM

Reply to
AM