Aldo Antics on ebay

If you really enjoy a good chuckle check out the ebay auction at the link below. There's this rather misleading seller on ebay, and I'm being kind only using "misleading", with the user ID of ALDO 1080 who's managed to get quite a few feathers ruffled. Be sure and read the comments...

Regards, Peter

Reply to
Peter Swindon

Look at his feedback though

Reply to
Bruce Fletcher

Aldo is well known for selling things at extortinate prices, as well as having misleading descriptions. Looking at his feedback just proves what P. T. Barnum said.....

Reply to
John Ruddy

Many buyers claim that items were sent from Italy, not from Aldo1080's claimed address of Brixham, Devon,... Do a search for other ALDO's and there's a whole family of them!!!. Not saying that they are one and the same person, but.....are these the accounts used to artificailly increase the bidding on his own items, as suggested in the feedback...By the way the 'feedback' makes very very interesting reading---I hope Ebay look at it....

Reply to
turbo

And that doesn't count all the people who are too embarassed at being duped to leave feedback...

I have seen Aldo selling Dapol Deltic kits accompanied by a photograph of a completed model for prices which MUST mean that the buyer thought they were getting a completed model. The description only mentions the fact that it's a kit 2 or 3 paragraphs down and states "You are bidding for a model of...."

There's one there now, although this time it's a "buy it now" except that £15 is twice the going rate even without postage.

THis is typical of Aldo1080 - definitely one to avoid.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

HeHe have a look at

a laugh....HeHe

Reply to
turbo

"Peter Swindon" wrote

Aldo's *very* old news, and seems to crop up all the time on all sorts of different groups.

All very boring.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Boring Yes - But still worth bringing up for those not aware of his antics.

..Aldo really is a rogue.

My transaction with him is the black spot on an otherwise very enjoyable time buying and selling on Ebay.

I bought a loco (An old LimaWestern) from him that was a non runner. After a lot of hassle managed to get him to offer a refund - which never arrived, even after a lot of email reminders.

He even tried to get me to complain to the guy he bought it from....!!

Tried using Ebays complaint process - he closed the case saying he had paid when I could prove he had not.

It was not worth pursuing it any further as it would have cost almost the value of the item to preceed further. (Looking back I wished I had carried on..)

So I'm down £22 quid - I'd have been better off keeping that dud Western...

KevFisher

Reply to
Kevin Fisher

for a laugh....HeHe

Wow. I must bid immediately....or perhaps I'll buy one from DC Kits and save myself 50 quid.... Now let me think.....

But it says "at bargain prices ONLY FOR YOU!!! " so it must be a bargain!

"I want to give everybody the opportunity to have the class 89 on their layout, so for this reason i am offering this item for sale at just £100! " It's so nice of Aldo to give us the opportunity to line his pocket.

Is there nothing that can be done about this guy?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Very old and still very current - unfortunately.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

for a laugh....HeHe

This listing is blatantly fraudulent at the criminal level, and eBay are accessories before the fact.

I refer to the use of the words "Bachmann" and "Lima" in the auction title. There is no Bachmann or Lima content in the article for sale.

eBay have specific rules against passing off registered brand names. So, who wants to spend a few moments making a complaint to eBay? :)

Or, why not write to Aldo and tell him that for £100 you need his warranty that the locomotive is in perfect running order? Or tell him you can't find a class 89 in any Bachmann or Lima catalogue, and ask him how his loco compares to the kit available from DC Kits at considerably less than £100? Or just ask him how much the postage is likely to be? I'd be curious to see his answers! "F~~~ing trainspotter..." is my guess!

BTW, I see that eBay have killed the anti-Aldo auction, which means they cannot deny knowledge of this situation.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

"John Ruddy" <

No, Aldo, whoever he is, doesn't sell things at "extortinate (sic) prices", suckers pay because they don't know better.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

"more negatives than kodak" - LOL

Reply to
Feebo

did anyone mirror it?

Reply to
Feebo

On 19/04/2005 15:29, Adrian wrote,

Well, yes. Doesn't "caveat emptor" apply here? i.e. if you don't read the description very carefully, including between the lines, and you don't check his feedback, and you get stung - it's your fault ;-) - at least, that appears to be eBay's interpretation.... no, I haven't been stung by this guy, but from the examples posted here, I don't think I would be likely to!

Another one to avoid, and put into your blocked bidders list, is holywellmrc. Another one with more negatives than Kodak, and particularly relevant to readers of this group. Check their feedback at:

Paul Boyd

Makes you wonder who are all those buyers giving A++++ ratings...

Reply to
MartinS

for a laugh....HeHe

£100 for an 89001 *kit*?! DC Kits sell a complete, painted, RTR version for £125 at shows! Also, the first pic appears to be have been lifted from the DC Kits website.
Reply to
Rich Mackin

The postage and packing charges are not shown for many of his items, which means a buyer doesn't have much choice once the bidding has stopped. It seems very dodgy to me. I never bid on items without the postage being displayed. And even postage is grossly inflated by some sellers. I have seen prices for a video vary from =A31.20 to =A32.75 for

1st class delivery. I suppose the =A32.75 one may turn up in a gold edged jiffy bag.

However, there are always people who will believe the sales blurb and be prepared to buy something at any price just to get an item that they think is a rare version. If they have more money than sense, then they will learn the hard way. I dont condone his selling tactics, but while there are buyers with more money than sense, there will be others exploiting their stupidity.

Reply to
crazy_horse_12002

"Adrian" > different groups.

which is why i've stopped buying on ebay, too many like him around

Reply to
wow what a grouch!

Thankfully, I never started buying on ebay, and I have no cause to regret that decision.

Reply to
MartinS