Aldo Antics on ebay

More money than sense to look up his feedback, and his churlish responses thereto.

Reply to
MartinS

What's ebay...........................??

:-) Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

I enquired about the manufacturer and postage on the following item:

This is the reply I got:

Hardly satisfactory, I will enquire further!

James

Reply to
James S

One of his latest 'scams' has been selling Heljan 47 bodies with a full description of the advanced workings of the full locomotive, only some considerable waffle further does he mention its only a body you are buying.

One went for over sixty notes the other day.

There really is one born every minute.

Then there is the mystery of his dealings with Rail Express Ltd Edition

50149's. Also very perculiar as he was selling at least four or five long before Rail Express had even sent any out!

Regards John M Upton

My Fotopic Collections: South Central/Southern, Model Railway & Other Rail Pictures:

Bus Pics:

JMUpton2000

One of his other scams which comes up from time to time is where he starts selling brand new models such as Hornby class 50's with names/numbers that Hornby haven't released yet! He cannot possibly have these items he advertises for sale.

Graham

Reply to
gppsoftware

Surely there is a case for the magazine itself to issue a warning, and alert ebay.

Reply to
John Ruddy

I see that this page has been removed. Kevin

Reply to
kajr

Have you been caught out too many times then Adrian? Please warn us of the eBay users if so.

My family having bought over 500 items on eBay without a problem I'd like to keep it that way...

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

On 19/04/2005 21:25, wow what a grouch! wrote,

Really?? Surely they're easy to spot, and you just ignore them. I have bought and sold many items on eBay, with no major problems at all, from and to all over the world. The only minor problem was an item that took

6 weeks to arrive with no communication from the seller, but it did arrive!

There are good bargains to be found, although not as many as the media make out, and if you are selling, some people seem to pay silly money for things - which is great!

Don't fall for the media hype about people being ripped off left, right and centre. The media always pick on the bad aspects of anything, and

99.9% of people are honest, and the feedback system allows you to make up your own mind about a buyer or seller.

Give it a go! I just wish the model rail fraternity wouldn't pay by bl**dy cheque! It costs me as much to accept payment by cheque as it does for PayPal, and with the latter you get your goodies quicker with less hassle on my part!

-- Paul Boyd

Paul Boyd

Totally agreed, Paul, especially about the cheques. Please tell the sellers who won't accept PayPal because of the perceived risks or the charges. My heart always sinks (when I'm buying) and I see that the seller expects a cheque.

As I can never put my hand on my cheque book, this means a walk to the high street to get a bank cheque, a stamp, and a bl**dy envelope. And then, best of all, some sellers don't know the difference betwen a personal cheque and a bank cheque, and wait the 7-10 days for it to clear!

All this to buy a £4 wagon or something!

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

As both a buyer and a seller, I whole heartedly agree with the sentiments echoed here. People need to use a little bit of "common sense" and read the information before they commit to buy.

And as a seller, I only accept PayPal - Cheques actually cost me a fee to bank, and that's after I've paid the (extortionate) car park fee's or bus fee to get to my nearest branch, which I then pass on to the buyer. I don't charge this "premium" for paypal payers, as I then use this "fund" to pay for my purchases.

Rgds,

Ian

Paul Boyd wrote:

Reply to
Ian Cornish

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Maybe you should be looking to change your bank. It costs me less to process a cheque throughmy business account than accepting payment in any other form, including debit cards.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 20/04/2005 17:32, Steve W wrote,

I just don't bother - there'll be another one along shortly, with a seller that accepts Paypal. What was the percentage of sales eBay reckon you may lose by not accepting Paypal? 80%?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 20/04/2005 17:58, John Turner wrote,

The bank is free. Unfortunately petrol and car parking isn't!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 20/04/2005 17:55, Ian Cornish wrote,

I have considered this, but then have to wonder if all those sales that were paid by cheque would have been matched if I only accepted Paypal. Incidentally, a well hidden point... if you choose the preference to only allow bidders with a Paypal account, that doesn't actually mean they have to use Paypal to pay. You need to make it clear in your description as well.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

nightmare... I had almost the same thing where he was telling me all these sob stories about why he hadn't sent it out etc... $200 worth... My patience ran out when I realised I was outside the paypal protection thingy (6 weeks) and left really bad feedback and reported him to ebay.. that morning the bleddin' thing arrived... all the stamps etc on the package fully backed up his story but it really looked like he was rooking me - even friends concluded I had be done.

Mutually agreed to withdraw the feedback.

why does life conspire against us like this?

Reply to
Feebo

and £412.84 postage added on don't forget :o)

Reply to
Feebo

wrote

which means a buyer doesn't have much choice once the bidding has stopped. It seems very dodgy to me. I never bid on items without the postage being displayed. And even postage is grossly inflated by some sellers. I have seen prices for a video vary from £1.20 to £2.75 for

1st class delivery.

What about N gauge locos? I asked a seller why he was charging £5 for second class delivery for a Farish N gauge loco and he told me "The postage will cost me £2.68 and then there's the new bubble wrap and other packaging" I wasn't convinced so reduced my bid by £3 (you can send an appropriately packed GF loco recorded delivery for around £1.60 - £1.85) and I still won!

And how did it arrive? In a *single* layer of bubble wrap inside a standard envelope. With £1.01 postage on the outside. Blinkin' cheek.

I got it at a good price, and I think that was because plenty of other bidders were put off by the postage....

~F

Reply to
Fil Downs

On 20/04/2005 20:36, Feebo wrote,

I had already given up on my delivery, instigated the "Item not received" process which had escalated to being investigated by Paypal, and bought the parts from another seller when the first delivery arrived. I'll be making up another set of bits (nothing model railway related) shortly to hopefully get some money back!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

I have the advantage of working 100 yards from my bank, so I prefer cheque. But I accept Paypal. I bid on things sometimes because the seller accepts Paypal (so I can sin now and repent later... :) and I'm convinced there are other weak-willed types out there, and I don't want to miss out on their bids!

I often offer a discount of £1.00 or more for cheque payment (it's against the rules to pass on eBay charges) and this offer is very rarely passed up.

Those who are annoyed at having to send a cheque for a £4 wagon - consider that to accept Paypal this would cost the seller 25p + 3% so this adds up to an annoying percentage of the total amount - for the seller. Add the eBay charges and all of a sudden the seller's lost 78p (almost 20%) of the £4....

If you want to bid on items that don't accept Paypal - keep your cheque book with you and buy a book of stamps from a newsagent! A cheque wont cost you more than the stamp and envelope and you could end up with a better price.

But of course....always read the description very carefully!

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs