Aldo Antics on ebay

That is the practice known as "gouging", very much discouraged by eBay, but when you ask eBay directly what they are going to do about it, they go a bit shifty, I'm afraid.

I find the best policy is to just refuse to pay, and offer the correct postage and reasonable handling charges.

I don't count being negatived by an eBay seller as the worst catastrophe that could possibly befall me! But there again, it just depends on how badly you want the particular item.

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

How far away from your bank do you live?

R.

Reply to
Richard

"Richard" <

Probably lives within walking distance, but who walks? :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

.

Reply to
Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote

We generally do, but then it's only about half-a-mile away. There's also that obsolete, but extremely useful beast called a bicycle which is also usually exempt from car parking charges.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 21/04/2005 12:50, John Turner wrote,

Hang on a second you lot - there seems to be an implication here that I am too lazy to walk to the bank, without any facts to back that up. Quite frankly, it's no-one's business how far it is, and sometimes I walk, sometimes I drive. I don't always have an hour and a half to spare on a Saturday morning to walk in, so then I drive. When I walk in , I pass people only a mile or less into town waiting for a bus in! And no, I can't get to a bank during the week. Due to a dodgy knee, I can only walk about 15-20 miles in one day in mountainous terrain, such as Snowdonia. How many of you critics can walk that in good health on the flat?

Get some facts before casting aspersions.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

On 21/04/2005 12:50, John Turner wrote,

And just to add, I cycle into work each day on a very expensive touring bike. There is *no* safe bike parking in town, so I walk in in preference to cycling. Often I load the bike with shopping, panniers front and back, because I can't be arsed to drive to Asda. A bike is far from obsolete, even if you may be too snobbish to ride one.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"John Turner"

And riders seem to think they're exempt from the rules of the road. At least if the UK's anything like over here.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Paul,

I live over 400 miles from my bank and I send any cheques by Royal Mail - costs me a stamp, but works very well. This might be your answer, provided the nearest post box is near :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Paul Boyd" wrote

With respect I was answering Roger's question not commenting on your personal situation.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 21/04/2005 17:34, Jim Guthrie wrote,

400 miles *definitely* lets you off walking to the bank! I'm trying to work out where 400 miles from a bank is that still allows you to use Royal Mail - or do you just mean your own branch?
Reply to
Paul Boyd

Sorry - your post just happened to be the last one in that particular line, and the first two had already wound me up!

On 21/04/2005 17:38, John Turner wrote,

Reply to
Paul Boyd

My own branch :-) I moved from Scotland to England many years ago, but stayed with my old bank.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Sounds like it isn't. There are a small number of people on bikes who cause problems, but equally public transport users include fare dodging seat slashers with personal hygene issues, and there are the mobile phone using, make up applying motorists who think cyclists should be forced to use (slower, circuitous, more likely to have an accident, usually illegal) pavements.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Well said sir. The round trip to my Bank is 14 miles an as I suffer from heart disease I ALWAYS drive.

Reply to
Michael

*yawn* another straw man attack on cyclists. In fact, if you'd bother to check, the RAC (not known for its pro-cyclist bias) found that less than 50% of cyclists break traffic laws, whereas more than 85% of motorists do (and this was with the RAC desperately trying to shift the goalposts, such as defining running a red light as passing the light *more than 3 seconds* after it had turned red).

R.

Reply to
Richard

Not from me, it wasn't. I was wondering if it was possible to cycle, and you've got there before me.

R.

Reply to
Richard

"Paul Boyd" wrote

If you *only check the Paypal option* in the "Accepted Payments" section when listing your item (and obviously make no mention of other payment types in the description,) you are within your (eBay) rights to refuse cheque payment.

When the bidder bids he agrees to various conditions on the "Confirm Bid" page, including the following;

"You are responsible for reading the full item listing, including the seller's instructions and accepted payment methods."

Of course, if you specify "Paypal account holders only" in your preferences, then at least the winner won't have the excuse he hasn't a Paypal account when you refuse his or her cheque!

~Fil

Reply to
Fil Downs

No, and I'm certain I wouldn't be caught-out by him either, but there are clearly some less sensible people out there who are keeping Aldo and others like him in "business" In the DC-Kits and Dapol deltic cases, I think it would be reasonable for Ebay to REQUIRE kits to be described as such in the item description, rather than half way down 2 pages of guff... Imagine if a it was a car you were buying and it turned out to be boxes of components?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Never caught-out yet. Then again, I've only bought from ebay twice and one one of those was from Rails of Sheffield. To be honest, I don't think there are bargains to be had on Ebay. I prefer to buy from traders I trust and where I can at least see what I am buying first.

My brief flirtation with ebay was over a year ago and then only as a way of using up some cash I accepted by Paypal for an item I sold privately.

Having said all that, I do have a browse through the lists occasionally for things I am on the lookout for...Lima 87 in Virgin anyone?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

">

I'd love to know where they did their survey, because here it is more like

90% of cyclists who break the law. One morning on the way to work I actually took count. Of the 12 cyclists I passed 9 of them were actually breaking the law *when I saw them*. That included going through red lights, the wrong way down one-way street, pulling out of junctions and making drivers swerve to avoid them and so on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff