Another eBay gem

Well, red rust is very fashionable, after all. Should clean up pretty well with oil and maybe a stone, but sheesh - can't the guy at least wipe it down to get the mass of rust off? Looks to be surface rust for now, but it's obviously been stored outside. Wonder how the motor is.
Reply to
Dave Hinz
The drill actually looks quite good from the photos but the table is rusty, probably no big deal. Reminds me of a cheapo chinese drill some friends have down a glass working studio which is used for drilling glass. It uses a diamond core drill and water feed so the table gets wet sometimes and is rusty but the upper end of the machine is fine.
Christ> Since you all like to grin at the machine tools available on eBay,
Reply to
David Billington
If any of you end uop buying this drill, I would like to make an offer on the rust. I'd like to mix it with wax and use it to rub out my car.
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Since you all like to grin at the machine tools available on eBay, take
a look at this one:

Okay, this is far from being the worst drill press ever, but I had to
chuckle at the way he describes it as "like new" and "well looked after".
Enjoy!
Chris
Reply to
Christopher Tidy
Anyone that can't rotate an image 90 degrees is suspect.
Reply to
Jim Stewart
That sounds like "wax on" and "wax off" (from "The Karate Kid") but all in one stroke :-)
Reply to
grassStain
I would say that the description is ironic rather than dishonest. The starting price was perfectly honest.
It also looks to be in better condition than my drill was when I picked it up from Jon Stevenson. On this one I would put the table and base on the shaper and skim 15 thou off to return them to perfect condition. On mine, I had to weld up a large number of craters and then machine the table and base flat and skim the rust off the column. I paid £65 for mine so this drill will probably reach a fair price.
Just my point of view :-)
Mark Rand RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Somehow, this DP reminds me of the song "seems it never rains in southern California" ...
Nick
Reply to
Nick Müller
"Mark Rand" wrote: I would say that the description is ironic* rather than dishonest.(clip)
*
The proper term is "ferric." ;-)
Reply to
Leo Lichtman
Notice the chap's name - johnjippy
Hmmm
Reply to
Fuhh
Looks more like "rustic" :-O
Reply to
ff
Wow, titanium nitride coated table! NEAT!!!!
Reply to
Don Foreman
AAAARRRGGGHHHH!
Mark Rand (Running away and hiding in a dark place ;-) RTFM
Reply to
Mark Rand
Don, you might want to adjust the tint on your monitor...
Reply to
Dave Hinz
Hey, it displays flesh tones just fine....
Reply to
Don Foreman
OK, but how's the "glisten"? Because that's at least as important.
Reply to
Dave Hinz